12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Fury as Trump gets $1.8bn taxpayer payout from his own government

Donald Trump has struck a $1.8 billion deal with his own IRS to funnel taxpayer money to victims of ‘lawfare’, including January 6 rioters and his political allies, in a settlement that Democrats are calling the most corrupt presidential act in history.

The President, his sons Don Jr and Eric, and the Trump Organization filed suit against the Treasury and IRS in the Southern District of Florida federal court after the leak of their tax returns.

They agreed to drop their suit Monday, as well as two claims, including for damages resulting from the raid on Mar-a-Lago in 2022 and the Russian election interference probe, in exchange for the government’s creation of the ‘Anti-Weaponization Fund.’

The $1.776 billion fund will have the power to issue formal apologies and monetary relief owed to claimants. It will be governed by a five-member commission appointed by the Attorney General, with Trump given the power to remove any member. 

While Trump is barred from directly receiving payments from the fund, entities associated with him are not explicitly prohibited from filing additional ones.

The settlement drew immediate fury from Democrats, among them Senate Finance Committee member Ron Wyden, who said it represented a brazen new level of corruption. 

‘Even by his standards, the move he’s trying to get away with now is a stunning act of corruption,’ said Wyden.

‘What Trump wants is a $1.7billion slush fund for right-wing political violence and subversion, and if he follows through, it will be the most brazen theft and abuse of taxpayer dollars by any president in American history.’ 

The President sued the IRS in January over the 2019 leak of his tax returns to the press

The President sued the IRS in January over the 2019 leak of his tax returns to the press 

Acting attorney general Todd Blanche said of the case: 'The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American'

Acting attorney general Todd Blanche said of the case: ‘The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American’ 

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said: ‘The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again.

‘As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.’ 

The extraordinary arrangement comes despite the misgivings of the judge in the case, Kathleen Williams, who was investigating a potential conflict of interest as Trump sued his own government.

Trump himself conceded last October that ‘it’s awfully strange to make a decision where I’m paying myself.’

However, the judge has limited legal authority to halt any settlement deal. 

Minutes after Trump’s legal team announced it was dropping the suit on Monday, almost 100 House Democrats submitted a ‘friend-of-the-court’ brief accusing Trump of ‘blatant self-dealing’ as they seek to put legal blocks on the fund.

Rep. Jamie Raskin, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement: ‘This case is nothing but a racket designed to take $1.7 billion of taxpayer dollars out of the Treasury and pour it into a huge slush fund for Trump at DOJ to hand out to his private militia of insurrectionists, rioters, and white supremacists, including those who brutally beat police officers on January 6, 2021, and sycophant accomplices to his election stealing schemes.’

The Trump administration claims that the fund is non-partisan and that anyone can file a claim if they believe they were mistreated by Biden’s DOJ.

'QAnon Shaman' Jacob Chansley, right with fur hat, during the Capitol riot in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021

‘QAnon Shaman’ Jacob Chansley, right with fur hat, during the Capitol riot in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021

Read More

EXCLUSIVE Inside Trump’s ‘monster’ China security bubble as Secret Service agents expose chilling threats

article image

It also cites as precedent the ‘Keepseagle’ case where the Obama Administration created a $760 million fund to redress various claims alleging racism against the federal government over a period of decades. 

The President has previously vowed to donate any proceeds he receives from the lawsuit to charity.

It was not immediately clear who precisely will stand to benefit from the fund but its creation reflects Trump’s long-running claims that the Justice Department during the Biden administration was weaponized against him.

He has cited as proof the since-dismissed criminal charges he faced between his first and second terms of conspiring to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election and retaining classified documents at Mar-a-Lago. Several Trump aides were also prosecuted, as were hundreds of MAGA supporters who stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021.

Merrick Garland, who served as attorney general during the Biden administration, has repeatedly denied allegations of politicization and has said his decisions followed facts, the evidence and the law.

His Justice Department also investigated Biden for his handling of classified information and brought separate tax and gun prosecutions against Biden’s son Hunter.

Trump’s Justice Department has nonetheless actively pursued the President’s retribution agenda, bringing criminal charges against political opponents and launching a wide-ranging investigation aimed at establishing a years-long conspiracy between law enforcement and intelligence officials to destroy his political prospects and prevent him from returning to power. 

No charges have been brought in that investigation. 

A pro-Trump protester carries the lectern of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi through the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol Building after a pro-Trump mob stormed the building on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC

A pro-Trump protester carries the lectern of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi through the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol Building after a pro-Trump mob stormed the building on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC

Trump filed a lawsuit earlier this year in a Florida federal court, alleging that a previous leak of his and the Trump Organization’s confidential tax records caused ‘reputational and financial harm, public embarrassment, unfairly tarnished their business reputations, portrayed them in a false light, and negatively affected President Trump, and the other Plaintiffs’ public standing.’

In 2024, former IRS contractor Charles Edward Littlejohn, who worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, a defense and national security tech firm, was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to leaking tax information about Trump and others to two news outlets between 2018 and 2020.

The outlets were not named in the charging documents, but the description and time frame align with stories about Trump’s tax returns in The New York Times and reporting about wealthy Americans’ taxes in the nonprofit investigative journalism organization ProPublica.

The Times report found Trump paid just $750 in federal income tax in the year he first entered the White House, and no income tax whatsoever in some years, attributed to reported losses. 

A group of lawyers wrote to the court this month, expressing concerns about whether the Justice Department was properly insulated from the president’s control of the case. Additionally, several ethics watchdog groups have filed friend-of-the-court briefs challenging the president’s lawsuit.

Skye Perryman, president and CEO of Democracy Forward, an advocacy group that filed an earlier brief, said in response to the dismissal: ‘This case was always a sham, and another ploy by the President to access taxpayer funds to line his pockets.’

Perryman vowed her group would continue to fight the settlement. 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

Bake Off Paul offers fresh recipe for grand designs

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: The Great British Bake Off star has refused to be cowed by councillors who threw out his plans last year to build a walled kitchen garden for filming at his grade II-listed home.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

Vanessa Trump reveals breast cancer diagnosis and undergoing treatment

Trump, 48, is the ex-wife of Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. They have five children together.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img