13.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to ‘stay open until 2030’ despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months. 

Council chiefs claim they have uncovered documents that reveal a secret deal between two government departments to keep housing migrants at the former Army training camp in Crowborough, East Sussex. 

It is understood the departments are the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office. 

The first of up to 600 asylum seekers – all single male migrants – arrived at the camp in January, and residents have since taken to the streets in weekly protests. 

Councillors said they had repeatedly sought clarification from the Home Office about the long-term future of the camp, but had been left in the dark since day one. 

On Wednesday, Wealden District Council said it had found ‘details in court papers revealing that two government departments have agreed between themselves to allow the camp the option to remain open until 2030’.  

It added: ‘This is despite repeated promises from the government . . . that the camp was only temporary and would be open for no longer than 12 months.’ 

Councillor Michael Lunn said he believed the Home Office was extending the lifespan of the camp to recoup costs which he claimed were four times that of putting migrants in hotels.

Locals in Crowborough on February 2, protesting against aslyum seekers being housed at a military site nearby

Locals in Crowborough on February 2, protesting against aslyum seekers being housed at a military site nearby

Council bosses claim they have uncovered documents that reveal a secret deal between two government departments to keep housing migrants at the Crowborough former Army site

Council bosses claim they have uncovered documents that reveal a secret deal between two government departments to keep housing migrants at the Crowborough former Army site

He said: ‘Residents are furious. We have been lied to from the beginning. We have been dismissed, ignored, put on the sidelines and the impact on the community has been huge.’ 

He added: ‘This latest development is just the tip of the iceberg. Crowborough is decimated – house prices are down, local shops are suffering, it’s going to be a ghost town.’ 

Read More

EXCLUSIVE Number of male migrants in Crowborough former army barracks have doubled over past month

article image

On Wednesday night, campaign group Crowborough Shield also claimed the Home Office had ‘confirmed permission until 2030’. 

Kim Bailey, who is leading the group’s legal battle against the plans to house migrants at the camp, said: ‘We’ve always known this was never going to be for 12 months and that [the Home Office] intended to use it for longer. 

‘They’ve just confirmed permission until 2030 and chances are it’s going to go on for a lot longer than that.’

Rachel Millward, the leader of Wealden District Council, said: ‘The entire project has been disastrously handled by the Home Office with a shocking lack of communication. 

‘We struggle to understand how they can justify such poor mismanagement.’

The site, which sits within the protected landscape of Ashdown Forest, was earmarked for use as accommodation for asylum seekers last October.

In December, school-age cadets who trained at the camp were ordered to leave, as its change of use made it no longer safe for children. The first migrants moved into the camp on January 22.

The Home Office said no decision had been taken on extending the camp’s use.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Kylie Minogue’s heartbreaking fertility struggles as she details IVF

For years, Kylie Minogue has been open about her desire to start a family amid her heartbreaking fertility struggles.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Venezuela Fury and Noah Price lark around poolside on their honeymoon

Venezuela has shared an insight into their honeymoon on TikTok, with the couple larking around the poolside in a fun video.

Kylie Minogue’s heartbreaking fertility struggles as she details IVF

For years, Kylie Minogue has been open about her desire to start a family amid her heartbreaking fertility struggles.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Was it ok that Beatrice and Eugenie weren’t invited to garden parties?

You've read the headlines and heard our experts' opinions - but what do YOU think?

PM is blasted over move to water down sanctions on Russian oil

The former prime minister led a chorus of disapproval over Labour's decision to shelve plans to close a loophole in global trade rules that allows diesel and jet fuel produced from Russian oil to be imported.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img