Nearly 400 migrants reached the UK yesterday in six small boats as people trafficking gangs took advantage of the hot weather.
Dramatic images showed toddlers perched on their parents’ shoulders as migrants waded through the sea in Dunkirk before crossing the Channel in six small boats.
Other pictures captured older children struggling through the water after failing to board one of the inflatable boats.
A total of 394 migrants reached the UK on Friday, marking the first successful small-boat crossings in nearly two weeks.
People in life jackets were seen being led from a Border Security Command vessel after arriving on the Kent coast, with the previous crossings recorded on May 9.
The break in recent poor weather allowed for several crossing attempts to be launched yesterday, as temperatures are expected to continue to soar over the bank holiday weekend.
The number of arrivals is down by 44 per cent on this time last year, and 23 per cent on the same point in 2024.
Experts said it could be down to a number of different factors including the weather, the supply of small-boat parts, government policy and the number of migrants coming into Europe.
Nearly 400 migrants reached the UK yesterday in six small boats as people trafficking gangs took advantage of the hot weather. Pictured: A migrant carrying a young child in the sea, waits to board an inflatable boat at the beach at Dunkirk
A distressed migrant swims in the sea after failing to board an inflatable boat at the beach at Dunkirk
Migrants board an inflatable boat at the beach at Dunkirk
Dramatic images showed toddlers perched on their parents’ shoulders as migrants waded through the sea in Dunkirk before crossing the Channel in six small boats
A family of migrants in the sea after failing to board an inflatable boat at the beach at Dunkirk
Migrants onboard an inflatable boat at the beach at Dunkirk, attempting to cross the English Channel
Police watch on as migrants wait to board an inflatable boat at the beach at Dunkirk
It comes after it was revealed that UK net migration dropped to an estimated 171,000 last year – the lowest level since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.
The figures for the 12 months to December are down 48 per cent compared with the previous year (331,000), according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
It is the first time the estimate – which is the difference between the number of people arriving and leaving the country – has fallen below 200,000 since the start of the Covid-19 outbreak.
The figures could lead to renewed calls for Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s immigration policies to be watered down.
Marley Morris, from think-tank the Institute for Public Policy Research, said the Government’s progress ‘should prompt a more measured debate’.
In April, Shabana Mahmood signed a three-year agreement to pay France £662million to support beach patrols in a bid to drive down the number of arrivals.
The Home Office said the arrangement would see officers ‘targeting and detaining’ migrants on the French coast with the aim of removing hundreds from beaches every year.
It means Labour will hand over £501million to cover five police units and enforcement activity on French beaches – with an extra £160million only paid if new tactics to curb Channel crossings succeed.
If efforts fail, the additional funding will stop after a year, the Home Office said.
It was also confirmed for the first time that French authorities’ new initiative to stop boats at sea will only apply to dinghies with fewer than 20 migrants aboard.
A group of migrants run to board an inflatable dinghy before leaving the coast of northern France in an attempt to cross the English Channel
A group of migrants wade through the water to board an inflatable dinghy before leaving the coast of northern France
Under Labour’s new agreement the £53million-a-year extra payments will partly depend on how many boats are intercepted at sea.
British cash will pay for a new specialist vessel for the French to use in interceptions, and 20 extra trained maritime officers to carry out the work.
It will also be used to pay for two new helicopters for the French to use in surveillance operations along their coastline.
Further British funds will cover the cost of a new 50-strong police riot squad specially trained in dispersing large groups of people.
On April 27, more than 100 small-boat migrants were rescued by the French coastguard after their dinghy broke down in the Channel.
Several people got into difficulty while trying to climb into the boat, including a woman who lost consciousness and had to be evacuated by helicopter, the maritime authority said.



