18.7 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Enzo Maresca agrees three-year deal to replace Guardiola at Man City

Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season. 

Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract. 

Daily Mail Sport reported exclusively however that Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday. 

The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot in the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over. 

The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1. 

But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City. 

Enzo Maresca is believed to be set to take over from former boss Pep Guardiola at Man City

Enzo Maresca is believed to be set to take over from former boss Pep Guardiola at Man City

The two worked together at the Etihad for a season and have been opposite numbers in the dugout over the last three campaigns

The two worked together at the Etihad for a season and have been opposite numbers in the dugout over the last three campaigns

The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester. 

Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.

Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans. 

Before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare. 

Read More

EXCLUSIVE The inside story of Guardiola’s decision to quit Man City – and why he’s chosen to go now

article image

‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.

‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’

Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”

‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’ 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

A pint of the black stuff! Camilla pours Guinness in Northern Ireland

Her Majesty arrived in Hillsborough, the royal residence of Northern Ireland, this morning where she met with staff members of the city council and local business owners.

Clare Waight Keller reminisces over Sussex wedding eight years on

Keller, the British fashion designer and former Givenchy creative director, masterminded Meghan's flowing, off-the-should white dress, with the pair working closely together on the design.

Katie Price’s ‘kidnapped’ husband remains ‘active’ on social media

Katie Price's missing husband Lee Andrews has been spotted on social media as Luisa Zissman claims to have seen him 'active' online.

Katie Price’s ‘kidnapped’ husband remains ‘active’ on social media

Katie Price's missing husband Lee Andrews has been spotted on social media as Luisa Zissman claims to have seen him 'active' online.

Simple solution to make your husband look 15 years younger and sexier

While 50-plus women are under no illusion they can slip into a comfortable middle age, men still assume they need make no effort at all with their appearance at this point.

A pint of the black stuff! Camilla pours Guinness in Northern Ireland

Her Majesty arrived in Hillsborough, the royal residence of Northern Ireland, this morning where she met with staff members of the city council and local business owners.

Clare Waight Keller reminisces over Sussex wedding eight years on

Keller, the British fashion designer and former Givenchy creative director, masterminded Meghan's flowing, off-the-should white dress, with the pair working closely together on the design.

Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call

Netanyahu increasingly doubts that further negotiations with Tehran will produce a peace deal and wants to resume military strikes.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img