19.3 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Mango owner’s son is arrested ‘on suspicion of homicide’

The son of the billionaire founder of fashion giant Mango is said to have been arrested in Barcelona on suspicion of homicide after his father died in a December 2024 mountain fall. 

According to Catalan daily La Vanguardia, Isak Andic’s 45-year-old son, Jonathan, was held this morning following a lengthy and ongoing police and court investigation.

The businessman, who has always protested his innocence and insisted his 71-year-old father died by accident, is now on his way to a court in Martorell near Barcelona so he can be formally questioned and give a statement, according to reports. 

A spokesperson for the regional Mossos d’Esquadra police said this morning: ‘Everything is under a secrecy order and at the moment we can’t say anything.’

Turkish immigrant Mr Andic and his son were visiting the Collbato Caves in the heart of the magical Monserrat mountain near the Catalan capital when the Mango owner died on December 14, 2024.

Respected Spanish newspaper El País reported in October last year that police were probing Mr Andic’s death as a possible homicide, and Jonathan had been formally placed under investigation by the courts after previously being treated as a witness.

Several other Spanish media outlets carried the same claims in follow-up reports.

Contradictions in Mr Andic’s son’s two statements and the ‘complex’ relationship between the entrepreneur and Jonathan were said to have been behind the judge’s reported decision, which Jonathan’s representatives later disputed, to place him under formal investigation.

Jonathan Andic, who was the only person with his 71-year-old father Isak Andic when he died after falling nearly 500ft during a mountain walk near Barcelona, has been arrested over

Jonathan Andic, who was the only person with his 71-year-old father Isak Andic when he died after falling nearly 500ft during a mountain walk near Barcelona, has been arrested over 

Isak and Jonathan pictured together in 2012 at Barcelona Fashion Week

Isak and Jonathan pictured together in 2012 at Barcelona Fashion Week 

It has previously been claimed the 45-year-old told officers he had left his car in one place and it was in another, or that he hadn’t taken photos of the area when he had.

An Andic family spokesman said at the time: ‘The Andic family has not made any comments over the past few months regarding the death of Isak Andic, nor will it do so in the future.

‘However, it wishes to show its respect for the proceedings that have been carried out in this regard and will continue to cooperate with the competent authorities as it has done until now.

‘It is also confident that this process will be concluded as soon as possible and that Jonathan Andic’s innocence will be proven.’

A secrecy order imposed on the case by the investigating judge, a tool commonly used in Spain to protect judicial probes, especially in their infancy, has limited the amount of information civil servants can disclose.

Isak, also the father of two daughters, Judith and Sarah, founded Mango along with his brother Nahman in 1984.

By March 2024, it had over 14,000 employees working in more than 2,700 stores operating in over 110 countries, with 45 stores in the UK.

Billionaire Isak Andic was a Turkish-Spanish businessman who co-funded clothing retailer Mango

Billionaire Isak Andic was a Turkish-Spanish businessman who co-funded clothing retailer Mango 

It went on to announce it was teaming up with Victoria Beckham to launch a new capsule collection to mark its 40th anniversary.

Forbes had estimated Mr Andic’s net worth shortly before his death at $4.5 billion, making him Catalonia’s richest man and one of Spain’s wealthiest people.

Catalan president Salvador Illa said on X after learning about Mr Andic’s death: ‘Devastated by the loss of Isak Andic, a committed businessman who, with his leadership, has contributed to making Catalonia great and projecting it to the world.

‘He leaves an indelible mark on the Catalan and global fashion sector. My condolences and those of the entire Government to the family, friends, and the Mango team.’

El Pais, the first Spanish newspaper to claim Isak Andic’s death was now being investigated as a ‘possible homicide’, reported last year: ‘To date, investigators have found no direct, let alone definitive, evidence that would allow them to conclude exactly what happened that morning in Montserrat.

‘However, over the months, they have come across a series of clues which, taken together, have led them to dismiss the idea of a mere accident and consider the possibility that it was a homicide.

‘The statements made by two witnesses were key to this change of direction.

‘One is Jonathan Andic, one of the businessman’s three children, the only son and the only one who was with him at the time of the incident.

A photograph from the scene of Andic's fall shows helicopters trying to recover the body of the businessman

A photograph from the scene of Andic’s fall shows helicopters trying to recover the body of the businessman

‘His explanations have been inconsistent and have fuelled suspicion.

‘Not only was his first statement, given under the strong emotional impact of the event, erratic.

‘His second statement, made some time later, when he was calmer, was also erratic.

‘The witness contradicted himself in any case, left gaps in his account, and described events that were inconsistent with the results of the on-site inspection carried out by the police on the mountain of Montserrat.

‘The second relevant testimony in the case was that of Estefania Knuth, a professional golfer and the businessman’s partner in the last years of his life.

‘According to sources close to the investigation, Knuth emphasised the poor relationship between father and son.’

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Dramatic moment RAF aircraft was ‘dangerously’ buzzed by Russian jets

Two Russian jets 'repeatedly and dangerously' intercepted an RAF spy plane above the Black Sea, it has emerged.

Bolt CEO fires his entire HR team because they ‘created problems’

Ryan Breslow, the co-founder and chief executive of US fintech firm Bolt, said the department was scrapped as part of sweeping layoffs.

NATO jets scrambled as ‘drone’ is detected over Lithuania

NATO jets have been scrambled to intercept a drone that flew over Lithuania's capital Vilnius, as the country's prime minister and president were rushed to a safe house. 

Doctors dismissed my heartburn… this was the condition I had

For over a year and a half Chloe Sterling, repeatedly suffered from debilitating heartburn that could last days at a time.

Nursery worker who abused babies deported after 14 months of sentence

Roksana Lecka, 23, carried out a campaign of 'sadistic abuse' in which she punched, kicked and smacked 21 babies as young as ten-months-old at two London nurseries.

San Diego mosque shooters planned THREE targets, ‘manifesto’ reveals

The rambling, hate-filled pages, shared online via a niche file-sharing website, describe a planned 'blitzkrieg' to 'cause as much death and destruction' as they could.

Hull City’s owner asks lawyers to get £200m play-off final CANCELLED

Middlesbrough, who were beaten by Southampton in the semi-finals, are currently set to face Hull at Wembley on Saturday.

Charles and Camilla finish Northern Ireland visit with garden party 

Their Majesties gathered at the historic venue to meet guests from the nation's voluntary and charitable sectors who have had lasting impacts on their community.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img