17.8 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Man, 26, is arrested after Jewish boy shot in the head with air rifle

A 26-year-old man has been arrested after a Jewish boy was shot in the head with an air rifle.

The suspect is alleged to have shouted abuse at the teenager as he walked to a synagogue before firing the weapon.

The victim was struck in the forehead but suffered superficial injuries in the attack in the East Cliff area of Bournemouth.

The shooting happened on the same weekend that several homes owned by Jewish people in the same area were daubed in Nazi swastikas.

Police are treating both attacks as hate crime incidents and have arrested a man from Ferndown, Dorset, for the air rifle shooting.

The suspect was arrested on suspicion of assault and possession of an imitation firearm in a public place.

He has since been released on police bail as an investigation continues.

Detective Chief Inspector Nicola Jenkins, of Dorset Police, said: ‘We have been carrying out extensive enquiries as part of our investigation and have now made an arrest in connection with the incident.

The victim of the suspected air rifle attack was struck in the forehead but suffered superficial injuries in the attack in the East Cliff area of Bournemouth

Elsewhere in the same city, the homes of a number of prominent Jews were graffitied in the Nazi symbol - one of the properties being the home of Rabbi Benzion Alperowitz (pictured), who was not involved in the separate air rifle incident

‘Enquiries are ongoing, and I would ask anyone who has not already spoken to police and has information that may assist our investigation to please come forward.

‘We understand the concern that this incident has caused to members of the community and we are continuing to liaise with them to provide updates and reassurance.

‘We are also continuing to support and update the victims with the progress of the investigation.’ 

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dorset Police online or by calling 101, quoting occurrence number 55250125864.

Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously online using its website or by calling Freephone 0800 555 111.

Hours ahead of the air gun attack, nearby homes of a number of Bournemouth’s prominent Jews were graffitied with Nazi swastikas in an overnight attack.

One of the properties was the home of Rabbi Benzion Alperowitz – who discovered that the emblem had been spray-painted on his house as he set off to the synagogue on Saturday morning with two of his five children, daughters aged ten and seven.

Rabbi Alperowitz said: ‘As I walked out of my door with my children we discovered that some cowards had visited our home and decorated it.

Police have appealed for information following the incidents in Bournemouth's East Cliff area

‘This is very upsetting and alarming and we have been in touch with the police and they are trying to track down the perpetrators who did this.

‘We should be proud of who we are and never allow these forces of darkness and evil to instill fear in our hearts.’

Several other homes on Manor Road were also graffitied in the same manner.

Rabbi Alperowitz said: ‘Jewish people should feel safe to walk around in Bournemouth. I was born and grew up here, and this is not the Bournemouth I know.

‘We all together are responsible to bring back Bournemouth to what it truly is – a place of kindness, a place of unity, and everyone has a part in that.’

In a video to members to fellow Jews, Rabbi Alperowitz told them: ‘Be proud to be Jewish and never allow these forces of darkness and forces of evil to instil fear into our hearts.’

Rabbi Alan Lewis of the Bournemouth Hebrew Congregation, said the attacks had left the community shocked.

He noted that all the homes targeted with swastikas were houses which followed tradition by displaying the Jewish mezuzah scroll, sometimes seen as a protection against evil, beside their front doors.

A number of homes in Manor Road were targeted in the anti-Semitic attacks

Rabbi Lewis said: ‘The young man who was shot is a religious Jew who was wearing a skull cap. It was very obvious he was Jewish.

‘Then several people living on Manor Road woke up to find that Swastikas had been painted on their homes.

‘The homes had a mezuzah outside so it was obvious that Jewish people lived there.

‘We are well aware of what is going on in the world, but this is very shocking because the majority of the members of the Jewish community are retired people.’

The Board of Deputies of British Jews’ vice president Andrew Gilbert said: ‘These hateful attacks on people and property in Bournemouth are extremely concerning.

‘We have been informed that the police are investigating and hope that the perpetrators will be arrested and face the full force of the law.’

The Jewish charity the Community Security Trust says there were 1,521 anti-Semitic incidents across Britain in the first half of the year, the second highest ever recorded.

A spokesman said: ‘CST is appalled by a series of anti-Jewish hate crimes in Bournemouth over the weekend.

‘These are abhorrent acts of racism that are deeply distressing for the Jewish community and should alarm everybody.’

A survey of Jewish teachers last month revealed more than half had suffered abuse – with swastikas and chants of ‘Free Palestine’ becoming more frequent.

A police spokesman said: ‘Dorset Police takes hate crime extremely seriously and a full investigation is under way to identify those responsible.

‘Enquiries are being carried out to establish whether the incidents are linked.’

Advertisement

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Freiburg vs Aston Villa – Europa League final LIVE: Score and updates

Follow Daily Mail Sport's live blog for the latest score, team news and updates as Aston Villa take on Freiburg in the Europa League final at Tupras Stadium in Turkey.

Bus driver dies ‘after being attacked while working’: Man is charged

Police were called just after midnight on Monday to reports that an incident had occurred on Battersea Bridge.

Prince William arrives in Istanbul for Europa League final

Prince William has been offering words of encouragement in the dressing room to his beloved Aston Villa as they head into their Europa League final.

Prince William arrives in Istanbul for Europa League final

Prince William has been offering words of encouragement in the dressing room to his beloved Aston Villa as they head into their Europa League final.

On-the-run ‘Dine and dash’ ex-lawyer posts Disneyland Paris pictures

Serial dine-and-dash ex-lawyer Kerry Stevens, 40, has fled abroad and has been brazenly posting photos of herself enjoying a day trip to Disneyland - despite being wanted by police.

Dramatic moment RAF aircraft was ‘dangerously’ buzzed by Russian jets

Two Russian jets 'repeatedly and dangerously' intercepted an RAF spy plane above the Black Sea, it has emerged.

Boyfriend of Brit shot dead by her dad in Texas speaks for first time

The boyfriend of Lucy Harrison, the 23-year-old British graduate shot dead by her father in Texas, has recalled being bundled into a police car as she lay dying in an ambulance.

Pictured: Three sisters who died in sea off Brighton beach

The tragic discovery was made by rescuers early last Wednesday morning following reports of someone in the water at 5.45am.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img