12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Trump scores major win as court tosses $500 million FRAUD penalty

Donald Trump will no longer need to pay a $464 million fraud penalty he was ordered to hand over last year after being found liable for inflating his assets by billions of dollars.

A New York appeals court said Thursday that the hundreds of millions Trump was ordered to pay was an ‘excessive’ penalty and should be extinguished.

The seismic financial victory comes over a year and a half after a five-judge panel said Trump, his sons and business associates broke the law by misrepresenting the worth of their assets to secure better business deals. 

The ruling that Trump and his associates broke the law still stands.

Speaking on Truth Social, the president portrayed the case as politically motivated designed to hurt his 2024 candidacy.  

‘This was an attack by the Biden/Harris Administration on their political opponent, ME. It is such an honor to have withstood it, thrived, and even become president of the United States despite the horrible things that were done to me,’ Trump wrote.

Thursday’s ruling puts fresh pressure on New York Attorney General and Trump foe Letitia James amid questions over whether her lawsuit violated the president’s legal rights.

Earlier this month, the Justice Department convened a grand jury in Albany, New York and sent subpoenas to James’ office in relation to a federal probe into her lawsuit against Trump. 

President Donald Trump secure a nearly $500 million victory when an appeals court ruled he does not have to pay the 'excessive' penalty in his New York fraud case. Pictured: Trump speaks alongside his then-attorney Alina Habba outside the court room in NYC on January 11, 2024

New York Attorney General and Trump foe Letitia James is facing federal investigation into her civil fraud lawsuit against Trump

Last February, Manhattan Judge Arthur Engoron ruled that Trump illegally enriched himself for decades by inflating the value of his assets on financial documents with the intent of securing better loan terms and enriching himself.

Trump was found guilty of fraud, insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, falsifying business records and issuing false financial statements, all of which landed him a hefty financial penalty.

He appealed the decision.

While the new ruling maintains that Trump, his sons and his company broke the law, it immediately wipes clean one of the president’s biggest outstanding financial liabilities as most of his legal woes dissipated in the months after his reelection. 

Trump’s son Eric wrote on X moments after news of the ruling broke: ‘Total victory in the sham NY Attorney General case!!! After 5 years of hell, justice prevailed!’ 

Thursday’s decision was handed down by a five-judge panel, deciding to toss out the massive fine while still maintaining the charge. 

The case against Trump was initiated by James in September 2022 after a three year investigation into the Trump Organization’s business practices.

The lawsuit alleged that the president, his adult sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, and their company misrepresented the value of assets to gain favorable loan conditions and tax breaks.

An example of this was evidence provided that showed Trump overstated by hundreds of millions of dollars on his financial statements the value of his Florida property Mar-a-Lago and Manhattan property Trump Tower. 

Protesters outside Trump tower in Manhattan on May 31, 2024 celebrate Trump's guilty conviction in the Stormy Daniels hush-money case

James’ office argued that the practices were not rare errors, but part of a decade-long pattern of deceptive behavior by Trump and his family and business starting in 2011.

But Trump says his method of real estate asset valuation was industry standard and that disclaimers advised banks to do their own valuations.

In fact, New York did not dispute his claims that no banks lost money on his loans.

The Justice Department launched this month an investigation into AG James for bringing the civil fraud case against Trump.

The investigation will look into whether she ‘weaponized’ her office against Trump and his businesses in the lead up to the 2024 presidential election.

It’s just the latest step in the ongoing saga between one of the president’s top political nemeses, and the second probe Trump’s DOJ launched into her conduct since the start of the start of the second administration.

The NY attorney general’s office called the DOJ’s actions a ‘weaponization of the justice system’ and said it should ‘disturb every American.’

Advertisement

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

Bake Off Paul offers fresh recipe for grand designs

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: The Great British Bake Off star has refused to be cowed by councillors who threw out his plans last year to build a walled kitchen garden for filming at his grade II-listed home.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

Vanessa Trump reveals breast cancer diagnosis and undergoing treatment

Trump, 48, is the ex-wife of Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. They have five children together.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img