20.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

US officials seek to indict former Cuban President Raul Castro: report

The United States is reportedly planning to indict former Cuban President Raul Castro in connection with the downing of planes 30 years ago.

The potential indictment – which would need to be approved by a grand jury – is expected to focus on Cuba’s deadly 1996 shootdown of planes operated by the humanitarian group Brothers to the Rescue, CBS News reports. 

Four men were killed when the two civilian aircrafts were shot down over the Florida Straits on flights focused on spotting Cubans fleeing communism in makeshift boats. The group would then relay their coordinates to the US Coast Guard. 

There is allegedly a 12-minute recording in which Castro could be heard discussing the planning and execution of the shootdown, according to NBC Miami. 

Florida’s Attorney General previously said at a news conference in March he was reopening a state investigation into the plane downing – something the families of the victims said they would support.

‘At this point, yeah, it’d be great if they could bring him and whatever he has left in his life, spend it in prison,’ said Mirita Mendez, whose younger brother, Carlos Costa, was killed in the plane shoot out. 

Raul, 94, formally stepped down as the leader of Cuba’s Communist Party in 2021, but he is still widely seen as one of the most powerful figures in the country. 

The indictment comes as the US continues to put pressure on the Cuban government. 

Former Cuban President Raul Castro, 94, is pictured at a celebration on May 1

Former Cuban President Raul Castro, 94, is pictured at a celebration on May 1

US President Donald Trump (pictured in China on Thursday) has pressed for major reforms in Cuba and has even floated a ‘friendly takeover’ of the communist country

US President Donald Trump has pressed for major reforms in the communist country and has even floated a ‘friendly takeover’ of Cuba. 

The Trump administration has also threatened tariffs on any country that sells or supplies oil to Cuba, leading to energy shortages as oil shipments are largely cut off. 

Amid the threat, CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials – including Castro’s grandson – on Thursday.

Ratcliffe met with Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, Interior Minister Lázaro Álvarez Casas and the head of Cuban intelligence services, and discussed intelligence cooperation, economic stability and security issues. 

The CIA director was there ‘to personally deliver President Donald Trump´s message that the United States is prepared to seriously engage on economic and security issues, but only if Cuba makes fundamental changes,” the CIA official said.

An official statement from Cuba’s government noted that Thursday’s meeting ‘took place … against a backdrop of complex bilateral relations.’

Raul formally stepped down as the leader of Cuba's Communist Party in 2021

Raul formally stepped down as the leader of Cuba’s Communist Party in 2021

While the US stressed that Cuba cannot continue to be a ‘safe haven for adversaries in the Western Hemisphere,’ the Cuban delegation insisted that the island presents no threat to US security. Cuban officials also took issue with the nation’s continued inclusion on the US list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Rodríguez Castro also previously secretly with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on the sidelines of a Caribbean Community summit in St. Kitts in February. While he´s never occupied a government post, he served as his grandfather´s bodyguard and later as head of Cuba´s equivalent of the Secret Service.

US and Cuban officials also met earlier this year in Cuba.  

But Miami’s top federal prosecutor has also spearheaded a new initiative targeting Cuban communist leaders over economic crimes, drugs, violent crimes and immigration-related violations – specifically focusing on Communist Party leaders.

Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott has also recently called on the Department of Justice to charge Castro and bring him to justice in the US. 

The Daily Mail has reached out to the Justice Department for comment. 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Meghan monetises her designer wardrobe again via AI platform OneOff

Earlier this month, Meghan, 44, shared a series of clips promoting her products via Instagram.

Prince William’s unlikely friendship with journeyman footballer

TOM COLLOMOSSE IN ISTANBUL: On one row, there was Prince William, cheering his team on to Europa League glory. On the next, a player with a decade in English football.

Nobu set to open hotel and private members’ club in unlikely UK area

Nobu has a collection of Japanese-style restaurants and hotels around the world. But its newest venture - a 'first-of-its-kind concept for the brand' - will be closer to home.

Net migration falls to 171,000 but asylum seekers continue to rise

The Office for National Statistics said net migration - those coming to live here long-term minus those emigrating - nearly halved from the previous year's 331,000.

Swimsuit-clad Bella Hadid performs death defying act aboard superyacht

Just hours before gracing the Cannes red carpet, the supermodel, 29, was spotted aboard the luxury triple-decker vessel, which was given the name 'Seven Sins.'

TikTok trend claims listening to songs at 432Hz can ‘reset your brain’

Does listening to songs tuned at 432Hz really 'reset your brain'? This is what several people are claiming on TikTok, as part of a new trend sweeping the social media app.

Net migration falls to 171,000 but asylum seekers continue to rise

The Office for National Statistics said net migration - those coming to live here long-term minus those emigrating - nearly halved from the previous year's 331,000.

Trade envoy files relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released

Andrew was a 'natural fit' to succeed her cousin the Duke of Kent after he concluded his Royal Navy service in July 2001, the late Queen believed.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img