12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

The Inbetweeners star Joe Thomas breaks his silence on show’s return

  • Have YOU got a story? Email tips@dailymail.co.uk

The Inbetweeners star Joe Thomas has broken his silence on recent news that the hit comedy could be returning.

The hit E4 comedy is poised for a comeback after the show’s creators confirmed on Monday they’d signed a new deal with production company Banijay.

Joe, 41, starred in the show alongside Simon Bird, James Buckley and Blake Harrison over three series between 2008 and 2010, along with two hit films.

The actor addressed rumours around an Inbetweeners comeback in a new interview, but also issued a stark warning for die-hard fans calling for its return.

It is thought the project could involve a new TV run, a film, or even a stage adaptation, with talks already underway about how to reboot the cult favourite. 

As well as its four lead stars, The Inbetweeners also helped launch the careers of stars including Emily Atack, who is now starring in the Disney+ show Rivals.

Inbetweeners star Joe Thomas has broken his silence on recent news the hit comedy could be returning (pictured in the 2011 film with Simon Bird, James Buckley and Blake Harrison)

Speaking to The Sun on behalf of Quizlet, Joe said: ‘I feel enormously close to all those people and, obviously, I love spending time with them. 

‘If there was an opportunity to spend more time with them in any capacity, I’d love that… that’s pretty much all I can say.’

Joe did note that with the show’s four stars now out of school and grown adults, there’s fears a new series may not be as funny.

He said: ‘The Inbetweeners is full of characters who are delusional to a large extent.

‘When you get older, your delusions fall away, you look at life as it is. It means you get into less stupid situations I suppose, also the challenges get bigger; you can make larger mistakes when you get older.’

Joe said that he and the show’s four main stars are still in close contact nearly two decades after the comedy started. 

Creators Iain Morris and Damon Beesley confirmed that plans are underway to bring back the iconic characters Will, Simon, Jay and Neil for a fresh chapter, after a signing the deal with production giant Banijay UK.

‘It’s incredibly exciting to be plotting more adventures for our four favourite friends (ooh friends),’ they said in a statement.

The actor addressed rumours around an Inbetweeners comeback in a new interview, but also issued a stark warning for die-hard fans calling for its return

Banijay’s chief executive, Patrick Holland, told The Sun he was ‘delighted to pick up the conversation about the future of The Inbetweeners with them’.

He added: ‘They have an infectious creative vision for the brand which will resonate with audiences old and new.’

The company said the deal ‘unlocks the rights and potential to bring The Inbetweeners back for new audiences across a range of platforms including film, tv and stage’.

Joe Thomas (who played awkward teen Simon), revealed last year that the cast – including Simon Bird (who played geeky Will McKenzie), James Buckley (who played loud mouth Jay) and Blake Harrison (who played dopey Neil Sutherland)- were eager to return. 

He said the group had stayed close friends and would ‘jump at the chance’ to work together again.

Speaking to a podcast he said: ‘We’re all still around. We’re all still in each other’s lives. We all still like each other.

‘And if it was something that came up, I think we would want to do it.’

Also tipped to return is Emily, who played fan-favourite Charlotte Hinchcliffe.

During the summer, speculation of a reunion began swirling after Joe and James Buckley teased fans with a mysterious social media post. 

The duo were seen posing together for what looked like a professional photoshoot, sparking instant rumours. 

James added fuel to the fire by sharing the snap on Instagram with the cryptic caption: ‘Working on something…’

The Inbetweeners is poised for a comeback after the show's creators confirmed on Monday they'd signed a new deal with production company Banijay

The Inbetweeners told the story of socially awkward teen Will MacKenzie and his mates Simon Cooper, Neil Sutherland and Jay Cartwright as they stumbled through life at the fictional Rudge Park Comprehensive. 

The comedy captured the ups and downs of adolescence – from cringeworthy friendships and failed flirting attempts to the trials of school life and laddish behaviour.

Created as a more grounded alternative to teen dramas like Skins, the series offered a brutally honest and hilarious look at growing up. 

Across three series, it became a huge hit for E4, smashing viewing records and collecting a string of awards.

Its success led to two box office smashes, The Inbetweeners Movie (2011) and The Inbetweeners 2 (2014), with the first breaking UK comedy records for its opening weekend and the sequel also topping the charts.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

PM is blasted over move to water down sanctions on Russian oil

The former prime minister led a chorus of disapproval over Labour's decision to shelve plans to close a loophole in global trade rules that allows diesel and jet fuel produced from Russian oil to be imported.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Vanessa Trump reveals breast cancer diagnosis and undergoing treatment

Trump, 48, is the ex-wife of Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. They have five children together.

I missed the signs of husband’s narcissistic abuse

The red flags had, in reality, been present in my marriage for years. Take the fact I was only allowed to work around school hours and not in the holidays, despite my thriving career.

The Cosby Show child star Raven-Symone steps out at glitzy LA event

The five-time Emmy nominee is remembered for her breakout role, at age three, playing Bill Cosby's onscreen step-granddaughter Olivia Kendall on his hit NBC sitcom

Truth behind Zara McDermott’s kiss with Joey Essex: DOLLY BUSBY

The pictures might be grainy but they are damning enough to make Zara McDermott's life difficult. They were taken as the former Love Islander was laughing and chatting with Joey Essex.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img