12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Tennis fan who stole boy’s cap at US Open finally breaks his silence

Piotr Szczerek, the man who has attracted fury online after he stole a US Open player’s hat meant for a young fan, has finally issued a groveling apology.

Internet sleuths unmasked the millionaire CEO ‘jerk’ in recent days after a viral video showed him swiping the memento intended for a child, known as Brock, by US Open tennis star Kamil Majchrzak.

Posted on his company’s Instagram account, Szczerek said in a lengthy statement he made ‘a huge mistake’ and revealed he has since given the hat back to Brock.

Szczerek, who has turned off comments on the post ‘out of concern for my family’, wrote: ‘Due to the situation that occurred during Kamil Majchrzak’s match at the US Open, I would like to unequivocally apologize to the injured boy, his family, all the fans, and the player himself.

‘I made a grave mistake. In the midst of emotion, amidst the crowd’s celebration after my victory, I was convinced that the tennis player was passing the cap to me – for my sons, who had previously asked for autographs. This mistaken belief caused me to instinctively reach out.

‘Today I know that I did something that looked like I deliberately took a souvenir from a child. It wasn’t my intention, but that doesn’t change the fact that I hurt the boy and disappointed the fans.

Piotr Szczerek has broken his silence after attracting fury for stealing a hat from a young fan

Kamil Majchrzak was signing autographs for young fans after his marathon five-set victory

He tried to give his cap to Brock, but Szczerek snatched it away

That left the youngster looking crestfallen and asking Szczerek, 'What are you doing?'

‘The cap was given to the boy, and an apology is due to the family. I hope that I have at least partially repaired the harm.’

‘I also want to make it clear: neither I, my wife, nor my sons commented on this situation on social media or on any website,’ he continued. ‘We did not use the services of any law firm in this regard. All alleged statements appearing online are not ours.

‘For years, my wife and I have been involved in helping children and young athletes, but this situation has shown me that one moment of inattention can undo years of work and support. This is a painful but necessary lesson in humility for me.

‘Therefore, I will be even more actively involved in initiatives supporting children and young people and in actions against violence and hate. I believe that only through actions can I rebuild lost trust.’

The ugly scene unfolded moments after Polish player Majchrzak went to the crowd after the biggest win of his career.

The 29-year-old defeated ninth seed Karen Khachanov in a marathon five-set thriller on Thursday – and then was filmed removing his cap and trying to hand it to the excited schoolboy in the crowd on Court 11.

But in a clip that sparked widespread outrage online, Szczerek was standing next to the awestruck boy and reached out, grabbed the autographed hat and stuffed it into his bag.

That left the youngster looking crestfallen and asking, ‘What are you doing?’ as Majchrzak walked away, unaware of what had just happened.

Szczerek said he made 'a huge mistake' and revealed he has since given the hat back to Brock

Majchrzak has since confirmed to the New York Post that Szczerek is the man in the video, and revealed he sponsors his tennis federation in Poland, adding there was ‘Obviously it was some kind of confusion’ over the incident.

Online vigilantes named Mr Szczerek – who heads up paving firm Drogbruk – as the person dubbed the ‘most hated man on the internet’ and hit out at his behavior.

‘Only an ordinary idiot and a jerk could snatch a hat from a child’s hands,’ one person wrote about alleged cap-snatcher Szczerek online. 

Another raged: ‘If the company’s president so unscrupulously stole a child’s hat, if I were a customer, I would no longer use his services.’

While a third added: ‘That is called stealing property that doesn’t belong to you, and that is no man a coward, a bully, and a cheat taking from a child?? New low.’

Szczerek is an amateur competitive tennis player who was introduced to the sport by his wife Anna, according to Polish news outlet Tenis Magazyn.

The married couple are understood to have a private tennis court at their home in Kalisz, Poland, where they once hosted Urszula Radwanska, a retired Polish tennis ace.

Since taking up tennis, Szczerek has risen to the second division of the amateur Kalisz Tennis Association.

His company  – which was founded in 1999 and has its HQ Błaszki about 155 miles west of Warsaw – reportedly sponsors a number of local sports programmes as well as rising young tennis players. 

It is understood he had sponsored Poland’s tennis federation. 

Majchrzak was reunited with Brock, who had the souvenir cap snatched away, on Saturday

The pair shook hands and were filmed chatting

Majchrzak appeared to be handing over some merchandise

Describing how it unfolded, Majchrzak said: ‘I was pointing, giving the hat, but I had a lot going on after my match, after being super tired and super excited for the win. I just missed it.

‘I had like a dead look if you know what I mean. I’m sure the guy was also acting in the moment of heat, in the moment of emotions.’ 

Majchrzak was reunited with Brock at Flushing Meadows on Saturday and a video posted on the player’s Instagram account showed them shaking hands and talking. 

He looked to have a bag of merchandise with him that he handed over to the young boy before they posed for a picture together. 

Majchrzak’s caption read: ‘Hello World, Together with Brock we wish you a great day!’ 

Unfortunately, Majchrzak’s day quickly went downhill as he was forced to retire from his third round match against Leandro Riedi due to injury. He was trailing 5-3 in the first set.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

Bake Off Paul offers fresh recipe for grand designs

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: The Great British Bake Off star has refused to be cowed by councillors who threw out his plans last year to build a walled kitchen garden for filming at his grade II-listed home.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

Vanessa Trump reveals breast cancer diagnosis and undergoing treatment

Trump, 48, is the ex-wife of Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. They have five children together.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img