Police have launched a manhunt after two teenage girls were allegedly raped on sand dunes behind a Premier Inn hotel in a seaside town.
Norfolk Police said they were called at 12.37am last Saturday to reports that two girls had been raped beside South Beach Parade in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.
A man in his 30s was arrested in Northamptonshire the following day on suspicion of rape.
He was taken to King’s Lynn Police Investigation Centre for questioning, where he remains.
Police are still searching for a second suspect who has been described as a white man with short dark hair, dark facial hair and aged in his 30s or 40s.
He is also believed to have been wearing blue jeans and a dark green jacket with a white stripe on both sleeves.
Police cordoned off a 100 yard wide stretch of dunes after the incident between the beach and the rear of the budget chain Premier Inn which has 81 bedrooms.
Officers were seen standing guard on the dunes which are covered with marram grass all day on Saturday as they searched for evidence.
Norfolk Police were called to South Beach Parade, Great Yarmouth, on May 16 following reports that two girls had been raped
The scene where the incident took place is also close to the Pleasure Beach amusement park and is overlooked by the Wellington Pier.
The attacks happened just yards away from a cluster of tents used by homeless people.
Semi-retired window fitter Andrew Bird, 62, who has been living in a tent on the dunes for the last ten days since losing his accommodation said he woke up on Saturday morning to see the area cordoned off
He said: ‘I saw the tape and thought, ‘What the hell has been going on?’ The officer would not tell me because of the ongoing investigation, and I left it at that.
‘I don’t think anybody round here seems to have heard or seen anything. When I went into town, someone said there had been a stabbing
‘Now I have found out that two girls were raped. It is just disgusting. The police should be getting all the help they need.
‘This is actually a quiet area because it is out of the town centre, so people come here in tents to avoid problems with their stuff being stolen.’
Taxi driver Jamie Zmich, 33, said: ‘I was driving to work at around 4.10am on Saturday morning when I saw four or five police cars.
‘There were some parked in the Premier Inn car park and others in the side road leading to the beach. I wondered what had happened.
‘I was very sad to hear about the girls being raped. This town is not safe any more. Being a taxi driver, I see it all.’
The police cordon on the dunes has since been lifted, but officers have been carrying out reassurance patrols in the area which is popular with dog walkers.
Chief Inspector Nick Paling, district commander for Great Yarmouth, said: ‘We recognise how shocking and distressing these incidents are for the victims, their families, and the wider community.
‘Specialist officers have been deployed to support both girls as we work through this investigation.
‘There will be an increased police presence in the area, with officers carrying out reassurance patrols. Please do approach them if you have any concerns or information.’
Officers would like to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who has any relevant information to aid this investigation.
Michael Jeal, a Labour councillor for Nelson ward on Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said he fully backed the police hunt for the suspect.
He added: ‘Whoever it was, I hope they catch them. I hope they get the heaviest sentence possible.’



