The United States has indicted former Cuban president, Raul Castro, brother of Fidel Castro, on murder charges in connection with the downing of two American civilian planes 30 years ago.
The 94-year-old is facing counts of murder, conspiracy to kill American nationals and the destruction of an aircraft, it was revealed in a dramatic press conference on Wednesday.
Castro was charged along with five other co-defendants, including Lorenzo Alberto Perez‑Perez, Emilio Jose Palacio Blanco, Jose Fidel Gual Barzaga, Raul Simanca Cardenas and Luis Raul Gonzalez‑Pardo Rodriguez.
A phalanx of top US officials, including Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and Florida leadership, gathered at Miami’s historic Freedom Tower – a symbol of hope for generations of Cuban exiles – to announce charges against the aging communist leader and the group.
‘For the first time in nearly 70 years, senior leadership of the Cuban regime has been charged in the United States for alleged acts of violence resulting in the deaths of American citizens,’ said Blanche.
He issued a stern warning on behalf of Trump: ‘If you kill Americans, we will pursue you. No matter who you are. No matter what title you hold.’
The federal indictment centers on the brutal events of 1996, when Cuba’s military shot down two unarmed aircraft operated by the humanitarian group Brothers to the Rescue. Four men, including three American citizens, were killed when the planes were blown out of the sky over the Florida Straits.
The group’s regular, peaceful missions were focused on spotting desperate Cuban refugees fleeing communism in makeshift boats, before relaying their coordinates to the US Coast Guard to save them from drowning.
Raul Castro formally stepped down as the leader of Cuba’s Communist Party in 2021
Four men were killed when the two civilian aircrafts were shot down over the Florida Straits
Their family members have long demanded justice for their deaths
In a dramatic press conference at Miami’s historic Freedom Tower – a symbol of hope for generations of Cuban exiles – a phalanx of top American officials gathered to deliver the news
Prosecutors allege there is a 12-minute recording in which Castro himself can be heard discussing the planning and execution of the deadly shoot-down.
Blanche was joined on stage by US Attorney Jason Reding Quinones, FBI Deputy Director Christopher Raia, US Senator Ashley Moody and Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier to announce the indictment.
For the families of the victims, it brings a long-awaited taste of justice.
Uthmeier previously announced at a news conference in March that he was reopening a state investigation into the downing – a move strongly backed by the victims’ grieving relatives.
‘At this point, yeah, it’d be great if they could bring him and whatever he has left in his life, spend it in prison,’ Mirita Mendez told one news outlet. Her younger brother, Carlos Costa, was murdered in the plane shootout.
Castro, now 94, formally stepped down as the leader of Cuba’s Communist Party in 2021. However, he remains an ominous shadow over the island, still widely seen as one of the most powerful and influential figures in the country.
The indictment comes as Donald Trump turns up the heat on the regime in Havana.
The President has relentlessly pressed for major democratic reforms in the communist nation and has even floated the idea of a ‘friendly takeover’ of Cuba.
Taking a sledgehammer to the island’s fragile economy, the Trump administration has also threatened severe tariffs on any country that sells or supplies oil to Cuba. The aggressive move has largely cut off vital oil shipments, plunging the island into severe energy shortages and widespread blackouts.
In a direct video address to the Cuban people, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio declared today that ‘the only thing standing in the way of a better future are those who control your country.’
Rubio, who is Cuban-American, emphasized that Cuba’s current suffering stems directly from its own government rather than the Trump administration. He noted that the United States is ready ‘to help you not only alleviate the current crisis, but also to build a better future.’
Yet even as tensions reach a boiling point, high-stakes diplomacy is underway behind the scenes. Amid the ongoing threats, CIA Director John Ratcliffe secretly met with top Cuban officials – including Castro’s own grandson – earlier this month.
The former Cuban president, 94, at a celebration on May 1
US President Donald Trump has pressed for major reforms in Cuba and has even floated a ‘friendly takeover’ of the communist country
The United States government has indicted Castro in connection with the horrific downing of two American civilian planes 30 years ago, officials announced today
President Barack Obama and Castro shake hands after a joint statement in Havana in 2016
Ratcliffe sat down with Raul Guillermo Rodriguez Castro, Interior Minister Lazaro Alvarez Casas, and the head of Cuban intelligence services to hash out intelligence cooperation, economic stability, and security issues.
An official statement from Cuba’s government later acknowledged that the high-stakes meeting ‘took place against a backdrop of complex bilateral relations.’
While the US delegation firmly stressed that Cuba cannot continue to be a ‘safe haven for adversaries in the Western Hemisphere,’ the defiant Cuban delegation insisted that the island presents absolutely no threat to US security.
Cuban officials also bitterly took issue with the nation’s continued inclusion on the US list of state sponsors of terrorism.
The meeting was not the first time Castro’s inner circle had rubbed shoulders with top American officials.
The dictator’s grandson, Rodriguez Castro, reportedly met Rubio on the sidelines of a Caribbean Community summit in St Kitts in February.
Though he has never held an official government post, the younger Castro has long operated in the shadows, serving as his grandfather’s personal bodyguard and later as the head of Cuba’s equivalent of the Secret Service.
While US and Cuban officials also met earlier this year in Cuba, the legal net is tightening rapidly around Havana’s elite.
Miami’s top federal prosecutor has spearheaded a new initiative targeting Cuban communist leaders over economic crimes, drugs, violent crimes and immigration-related violations – specifically focusing on the Communist Party’s inner circle.
The move follows a fierce campaign by Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott, who recently called on the Department of Justice to formally charge Castro and finally bring him to justice on American soil.


