17.8 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Pictured: Three sisters who died in sea off Brighton beach

Three sisters who died in the sea off Brighton beach have been named for the first time. 

Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water. 

The sisters lived in Uxbridge, west London and had been visiting the resort in East Sussex. 

They were named today by Sussex Police, as their devastated father, Joseph, released a heartbreaking tribute describing his ‘unbearable’ grief. 

He said in a statement: ‘Today, with a heart full of sorrow and love, I pay tribute to my beloved daughters – Jane, Christina, and Becky – whose lives ended so tragically far too soon.

‘No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives. 

‘Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.

‘Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful. 

Three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been named for the first time as sisters Jane, Christina and Rebecca (from left to right). Photo generated by AI

Three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been named for the first time as sisters Jane, Christina and Rebecca (from left to right). Photo generated by AI

‘Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.’ 

Emergency services were called after concerns were raised for a person’s welfare at around 5.45am on May 13, before the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water. 

Detectives have not yet been able to establish how the women died, although there is no evidence to suggest criminality or anyone else being involved. 

The family released a photograph of the three sisters, which was later revealed to be generated by them using AI and based on a genuine picture of the women when they were younger. 

Joseph went on to pay tribute to each of his daughters individually. 

‘Jane, your strength and loving spirit will never be forgotten. Christina, your kindness and beautiful heart touched so many lives. Becky, your warmth and joyful soul brought happiness wherever you went. You were deeply loved, and you will always be deeply missed.

‘The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared — the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.

‘Though you are no longer here beside us, your spirits live on in our hearts every day. Love like yours never dies. You will forever remain a part of our lives, our prayers, and our memories.

‘Rest peacefully, my precious daughters — Jane, Christina, and Becky. You may be gone from our sight, but never from our hearts. Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever remembered.’ 

An investigation into how Jane, Christina and Rebecca came to be in the water remains ongoing.

Officers have reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and made door-to-door enquiries at properties and businesses around the beach to try and trace the women’s last movements.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove said police are asking anyone with information to come forward. 

Officers are particularly keen to speak to anyone who may have seen the three women around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday, May 12, and 5.30am on Wednesday, May 13. 

Police stand on the beach at Black Rock near Brighton Marina where the sisters' bodies were pulled from the water early last Wednesday

Police stand on the beach at Black Rock near Brighton Marina where the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water early last Wednesday 

Chief Superintendent Hays said: ‘The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss.

‘I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning.

‘This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.’

One theory being examined by the Coastguard is that at least one of the sisters may have waded out into the sea from the beach but got into difficulty when they stumbled off a shingle shelf where the seabed falls sharply into deep water. 

A Coastguard source told the Daily Mail last week: ‘The shoreline off Brighton Beach slopes steeply into deep water, many people don’t realise the danger.

‘You don’t have to go far out at all before there’s a big drop-off and you go from knee-high water to chest-high water.

‘Swimmers can be pulled out of their depth very quickly from the backwash and with pebbles shifting underfoot it becomes difficult to maintain your balance especially when you’re trying to climb back up the slope with waves crashing against you.

‘One theory that the Coastguard are looking at is that at least one of the women went into the sea for a paddle and strayed too far out and were caught out by the sudden drop.’

Police at the scene on May 13, shortly after the sisters' bodies had been pulled from the water

Police at the scene on May 13, shortly after the sisters’ bodies had been pulled from the water 

An HM Coastguard helicopter was seen hovering above the water last Wednesday morning, as well as Coastguard Rescue Teams from Shoreham, Newhaven, Littlehampton and Birling Gap.

Three RNLI lifeboats from Sussex were also involved in the search – including the Brighton lifeboat and the Shoreham all-weather lifeboat – which launched at around 6am before being stood down later in the morning.

Bella Sankey, the leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, said she was ‘shocked and deeply saddened’ by the tragedy. 

‘My heart goes out to the friends and family of these women and on behalf of Brighton and Hove, I send sincere condolences,’ she said.

Chris Ward, the Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven, said it was ‘deeply tragic news and understandably very concerning for our community and everyone affected’.

‘I would like to thank our emergency services for their swift response and the difficult work they continue to carry out at the scene,’ he added

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Freiburg vs Aston Villa – Europa League final LIVE: Score and updates

Follow Daily Mail Sport's live blog for the latest score, team news and updates as Aston Villa take on Freiburg in the Europa League final at Tupras Stadium in Turkey.

Bus driver dies ‘after being attacked while working’: Man is charged

Police were called just after midnight on Monday to reports that an incident had occurred on Battersea Bridge.

Prince William arrives in Istanbul for Europa League final

Prince William has been offering words of encouragement in the dressing room to his beloved Aston Villa as they head into their Europa League final.

Prince William arrives in Istanbul for Europa League final

Prince William has been offering words of encouragement in the dressing room to his beloved Aston Villa as they head into their Europa League final.

On-the-run ‘Dine and dash’ ex-lawyer posts Disneyland Paris pictures

Serial dine-and-dash ex-lawyer Kerry Stevens, 40, has fled abroad and has been brazenly posting photos of herself enjoying a day trip to Disneyland - despite being wanted by police.

Dramatic moment RAF aircraft was ‘dangerously’ buzzed by Russian jets

Two Russian jets 'repeatedly and dangerously' intercepted an RAF spy plane above the Black Sea, it has emerged.

Boyfriend of Brit shot dead by her dad in Texas speaks for first time

The boyfriend of Lucy Harrison, the 23-year-old British graduate shot dead by her father in Texas, has recalled being bundled into a police car as she lay dying in an ambulance.

Pictured: Three sisters who died in sea off Brighton beach

The tragic discovery was made by rescuers early last Wednesday morning following reports of someone in the water at 5.45am.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img