20.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Wills’ announcement spells disaster for Harry and Meghan: RICHARD EDEN

Wills’ announcement spells disaster for Harry and Meghan: RICHARD EDEN,

Image rotator

Often characterised as ‘work-shy’ and reluctant to undertake the vast number of engagements carried out by members of the Royal Family decades his senior, Prince William will have surprised some people with one particular piece of news this week.

Not his unfettered celebrations last night in Istanbul with some of his oldest friends – as Aston Villa, the football team he so passionately supports, won the Europa League, their first major trophy in 30 years.

No, it was the announcement that the heir to the throne would sell off a fifth of the Duchy of Cornwall, the £1billion estate which he inherited after his father became King in 2022.

The sell-off will happen over the next ten years, as William plans to invest £500million in tackling the crises in nature and housing.

Will Bax, chief executive of the duchy, said the future king would consolidate his holdings around five geographic ‘heartlands’ – focusing on Dartmoor, Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly, the Bath area and Kennington, south London – where he felt he could make the greatest environmental and social impact.

JOIN RICHARD EDEN TO DISCUSS PRINCESS BEATRICE AND EUGENIE’S EXCLUSION FROM ROYAL EVENTS THIS SUMMER – DO YOU THINK IT’S RIGHT?

Prince William celebrates last night in Istanbul as Aston Villa, the football team he so passionately supports, won the Europa League

Prince William celebrates last night in Istanbul as Aston Villa, the football team he so passionately supports, won the Europa League

The prince decided that the duchy ‘shouldn’t exist to just own land. It should first and foremost exist to have a positive impact on the world’, Bax said.

William’s move ties in with his decision to focus on two areas where he feels he can make a difference to the world: the environment and the scourge of homelessness.

Have Beatrice and Eugenie been unfairly sidelined?

 

Hi! I’m Richard Eden, Diary Editor and author of the Palace Confidential newsletter.

Beatrice and Eugenie have not attended any Buckingham Palace garden party this summer, despite being regulars in previous years. Do you think it’s right they’ve been excluded because of the controversy surrounding their parents? Join my discussion by clicking HERE.

When King Charles was the Prince of Wales, he was criticised for making endless ‘doom and gloom’ speeches about the environment which could leave people with the feeling of helplessness. Who can forget how Charles warned in March 2009 that humanity had ‘less than 100 months’ to save the planet from catastrophic climate change? Two hundred and four months later, the catastrophe does not seem to have happened – and people have become wary of such alarmism.

William realised this and, wisely, has instead concentrated his efforts on trying to encourage practical efforts to improve the environment. In 2021, he launched The Earthshot Prize, a global scheme that awards five winners each year for their contributions towards improving the planet. Each winner receives a grant of £1million to continue their environmental work.

His work to end homelessness is similarly based on practical action not pontificating. In 2023, he created Homewards, a project ‘to demonstrate that it is possible to make homelessness rare, brief and unrepeated’. Designed to be transformative, the five-year programme was based in six flagship locations around the UK, with up to £500,000 of funding provided by his and his wife’s charity, the Royal Foundation, for each location.

William has wisely concentrated his efforts on trying to encourage practical efforts to improve the environment. Pictured during a visit to Dartmoor National Park in June last year

William has wisely concentrated his efforts on trying to encourage practical efforts to improve the environment. Pictured during a visit to Dartmoor National Park in June last year

Prince Harry and Meghan quit official duties to seek a fortune across the Atlantic before attacking the Royal Family at every opportunity. Pictured together in New York in 2023

Prince Harry and Meghan quit official duties to seek a fortune across the Atlantic before attacking the Royal Family at every opportunity. Pictured together in New York in 2023

No one will have read William’s announcement this week more closely than the Duke of Sussex, who was always envious of his brother’s position of heir to the Duchy of Cornwall and future king.

Prince Harry and Meghan quit official duties to seek a fortune across the Atlantic before attacking the Royal Family at every opportunity. Despite this, King Charles has declined to take any action against his son and daughter-in-law.

He has allowed Harry to retain his position, fifth in the line of succession. He has also permitted the pair to keep their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles, even though they regularly use them in their commercial activities, in apparent defiance of the agreement made with the late Queen Elizabeth at the ‘Sandringham summit’ in 2020.

Even more generously, the King has allowed Harry to remain a Counsellor of State, meaning that he could, in theory at least, stand in for the monarch if Charles was unable to carry out his duties because of illness.

‘William will take a much harder line with Harry and Meghan when he’s king,’ predicts one of his friends, who declines to spell out exactly what that will mean for the California-based couple.

What we can deduce from this week’s radical announcement about the Duchy of Cornwall – as well as his intense display of emotion at the Aston Villa game in Istanbul – is that William will be different. And that whatever action he takes against the Sussexes, it will be dramatic.

Sign up for Richard Eden’s Royal Newsletter. Click here.

Often characterised as reluctant to undertake the vast number of engagements carried out by the Royal Family, Prince William will have surprised some people this week.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Trade envoy files relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released

Andrew was a 'natural fit' to succeed her cousin the Duke of Kent after he concluded his Royal Navy service in July 2001, the late Queen believed.

Trade envoy files relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released

Andrew was a 'natural fit' to succeed her cousin the Duke of Kent after he concluded his Royal Navy service in July 2001, the late Queen believed.

How William took over the ‘band of brothers’ he once shared with Harry

As the Prince of Wales laughed and cried while Aston Villa secured its first major trophy in 30 years last night, he was joined by his equally enthusiastic 'band of brothers'.

Where are the kids from Supernanny now?

Meghann Cooke appeared on Supernanny when she was just nine years old, clashing with Jo over her behaviour. She returned to the small screen recently on Celebs Go Dating.

Risks of vegan diets laid bare, from bone disease to severe depression

The death of a university student linked to a vitamin deficiency has fuelled renewed concerns about the safety of plant-based diets.

Meghan monetises her designer wardrobe again via AI platform OneOff

Earlier this month, Meghan, 44, shared a series of clips promoting her products via Instagram.

Prince William’s unlikely friendship with journeyman footballer

TOM COLLOMOSSE IN ISTANBUL: On one row, there was Prince William, cheering his team on to Europa League glory. On the next, a player with a decade in English football.

Nobu set to open hotel and private members’ club in unlikely UK area

Nobu has a collection of Japanese-style restaurants and hotels around the world. But its newest venture - a 'first-of-its-kind concept for the brand' - will be closer to home.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img