13.4 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Pippa Middleton ‘using royal connection’ to keep walkers off her drive

Pippa Middleton ‘using royal connection’ to keep walkers off her drive,

Pippa Middleton has been accused of using her sister’s royal status to justify banning ramblers from walking on a footpath on the country estate she shares with her husband, James Matthews.

As reported by the Mail last month, Ms Middleton and her hedge fund manager spouse are at war with Britain’s walking charity over access to a path at Grade I-listed Barton Court in Berkshire.

The 145-acre sprawl is familiar to locals in neighbouring Kintbury, who have been using its thoroughfare as a safe means of reaching the village instead of walking on narrow Station Road, which has blind turns, heavy traffic and no pavement.

Mill Lane links the country road with a causeway known locally as The Avenue, which leads to Kintbury via a bridge over the railway and a scenic riverside path.

Locals say the gates of Mill Lane were always left open by the estate’s previous owner – the late Habitat founder Sir Terence Conran – on the understanding that it could be used as a public passageway. 

But shortly after snapping up the estate for £15million in 2022, Ms Middleton and Mr Matthews – heir to a Scottish feudal title – installed electric gates and signs reading ‘Private: No Public Access’ and ‘No Trespassing’ at both ends of the path.

Thirty-five residents, backed by The Ramblers’ Association, appealed to West Berkshire Council to have the lane declared a public right of way – but Ms Middleton and her husband have pushed back.

A Planning Inspectorate hearing began in the village hall on Wednesday, attended by Mr Matthews, who sought to claim security and privacy concerns should win out. He lives on the estate with Ms Middleton and their three children.

Pippa Middleton and her husband James Matthews are at war with a group of local ramblers over access to a path on their estate

Pippa Middleton and her husband James Matthews are at war with a group of local ramblers over access to a path on their estate

Mill Lane sits on the couple's Barton Court estate - linking a public footpath with a busy main road

Mill Lane sits on the couple’s Barton Court estate – linking a public footpath with a busy main road

Mr Matthews attended the opening of the Planning Inspectorate inquiry held at Kintbury's village hall - unaccompanied by his wife

Mr Matthews attended the opening of the Planning Inspectorate inquiry held at Kintbury’s village hall – unaccompanied by his wife

But some locals have claimed the sister of the Princess of Wales is exercising her sibling’s royal status to suggest she and her husband deserved special treatment owing to their need for privacy.

One angry local thundered to the Mail in April: ‘They’re not even the proper Royal Family.’

Samuel Robins, who has lived in nearby Little Wawcott all his life, said he had used the footpath for years without challenge. 

He told the inquiry: ‘I can state categorically that I have never been told to stop and turn back. It is difficult to see what security and privacy issues are caused.’

Tony Vickers, a local Liberal Democrat councillor, said he had never used Mill Lane as it was not a designated public path, but said he understood locals preferred it to walking on the main road.

But Paul Wilmshurst, the barrister representing Mr Matthews, said in a written submission that declaring the path a public right of way would ’cause very real practical [and] privacy difficulties and security issues’.

Read More

Pippa Middleton ready for a rumble with ramblers after shutting footpath at her £15m mansion

article image

‘The route is over land, which, at all material times, has formed and has had the local reputation as being the private drive to the house at Barton Court,’ he added.

He was supported by life-long Kintbury resident Anthony Stansfield, who said in his own written submission: ‘I have never met the new owners. But I can quite understand their concerns about this.’

It is reported that Lady Victoria Conran, Sir Terence’s widow, will give evidence in favour of Mr Matthews and Ms Middleton.

But Ken Taylor, the Government-appointed planning inspector, said questions of privacy and security were outside of the scope of the inquiry – suggesting Ms Middleton’s royal connections will hold no sway.

Instead, the decision will be made based upon the law as it stands on public rights of passage. 

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, a private path can be claimed as a public right of way if the public has had 20 years of ‘unfettered access’ prior.

A diagram showing Mill Lane in its entirety, from the Avenue (A) to the junction with Station Road (C), which locals say is not safe to walk on

A diagram showing Mill Lane in its entirety, from the Avenue (A) to the junction with Station Road (C), which locals say is not safe to walk on

The inquiry was well attended: 35 locals have opposed Ms Middleton and Mr Matthews' plans to close off Mill Lane

The inquiry was well attended: 35 locals have opposed Ms Middleton and Mr Matthews’ plans to close off Mill Lane

The couple rejects any notion that the estate's previous owner allowed locals to pass (pictured: a 'Private Property' sign on the estate

The couple rejects any notion that the estate’s previous owner allowed locals to pass (pictured: a ‘Private Property’ sign on the estate

But Mr Wilmshurst said this was not the case, as the rail bridge on the Avenue was closed for six months in 2016 so it could be replaced, and that the estate’s gates were locked around eight years ago after being damaged by a lorry, reported The Times.

Last month, West Berkshire Ramblers chair Eugene Futcher told the Mail on Sunday the decision to close Mill Lane was putting members of the public at risk.

‘People have used it for a very long time – certainly since the 1960s,’ he said.

‘Taking it away will be inconvenient, especially when walking is so important to mental health. It will force people on to the main road, which is very dangerous.

‘There is no footpath or verge. The paths were never closed under Conran – he actively encouraged people to use them.’

This isn’t the first time the couple have rubbed locals up the wrong way: Mr Matthews’ 50th birthday party last September featured a Spitfire display, upsetting local dogs, and was allegedly a source of noise until 1.30am. 

A spokesperson for Ms Middleton and Mr Matthews has rubbished claims that Sir Terence Conran allowed locals to use Mill Lane as a right of way.

‘For as long as records exist, there has never been a footpath or public right of way on the land currently under discussion,’ the spokesperson told the Mail.

‘For decades past there has always been signage pointing out this is the driveway to a private property, with no public access. There are other clearly marked footpaths nearby.

‘Contrary to media reports the previous owners at the property from as far back as the 1970’s, did not allow public access to the land under discussion. It has always been private property.’

Ms Middleton and her hedge fund manager spouse are at war with Britain’s walking charity over access to a path at Grade I-listed Barton Court in Berkshire.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Arsenal’s Premier League-winning stars, led by Rice, party all night

Arsenal's triumphant players were spotted partying until daylight as they basked in the glory of the club's first Premier League title since 2004.

Kylie Minogue secretly battled cancer a second time

Kylie Minogue has revealed that she went through cancer for a second time just five years ago, which left her a 'shell of a person.'

Britain must get used to being a ‘hot country’, climate advisers say

Schools should introduce air conditioning to prevent learning days being lost to hot days, it says.

Katie Price’s ‘kidnapped’ husband remains ‘active’ on social media

Katie Price's missing husband Lee Andrews has been spotted on social media as Luisa Zissman claims to have seen him 'active' online.

Kylie Minogue secretly battled cancer a second time

Kylie Minogue has revealed that she went through cancer for a second time just five years ago, which left her a 'shell of a person.'

Britain’s deputy ambassador to US leaves his post

James Roscoe has held the role since July 2022 and stood in as acting ambassador after Lord Peter Mandelson was sacked over his links to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Professor who said neighbour made flat ‘unsellable’ faces £180K bill

Prof Daslav Brkic sued wine retailer Douglas Palin as freeholder of the Victorian house in Finsbury Park, north London, where they both own flats.

‘I told you’: Declan Rice celebrates Arsenal’s title triumph

And now that he was proven to be right, the 27-year-old has posted a selfie on social media along with several of his Arsenal team-mates as the squad celebrate becoming the champions of England.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img