17.6 C
London
Sunday, May 24, 2026

Now Peter Mandelson faces EU fraud probe over Epstein files

EU fraud investigators have been asked to investigate Peter Mandelson’s friendship with paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein, it was revealed today.

The European Commission has asked them to look into claims that Lord Mandelson passed the late child sex abuser information about a €500 billion bailout of the euro in 2010, when he was the UK’s commissioner in Brussels.

A commission spokesman told Politico: ‘Given the circumstances, and the significant amount of documents made available publicly, the European Commission also asked OLAF (European anti-fraud office) on 18 February to look into the matter.’

It added that the probe was ongoing. 

Emails released earlier this month appeared to indicate that in 2010 Mandelson gave Epstein advance notice of the bailout. 

Among the files released by the US Department of Justice is a message sent by Mandelson to Epstein in the early hours of May 9, 2010, in which he said: ‘Sources tell me 500 b euro bailout almost complete.’

Later that day a bailout was confirmed by the European Commission.

Jeffrey Epstein died in jail in 2019 while awaiting trial for sex trafficking underage girls

Among the files released by the US Department of Justice is a message sent by Mandelson to Epstein in the early hours of May 9, 2010, in which he said: 'Sources tell me 500 b euro bailout almost complete'

Lord Mandelson’s team has been approached for comment. 

It came as bungling police made another grovelling apology today after revealing the source of a tip-off that the peer might be a flight risk.

In extraordinary developments yesterday, Commons Speaker Lindsay Hoyle was forced to make a statement confirming he had passed the information to Scotland Yard.

The intelligence sparked the dramatic arrest of the peer – who is under investigation in the UK over handing sensitive documents to Jeffrey Epstein – on Monday afternoon. Lord Mandelson has furiously denied the claim he could flee as ‘fiction’. 

But Sir Lindsay publicly outed himself as the source after detectives seemingly told Lord Mandelson’s lawyers that his counterpart in the Upper House, Lord Forsyth, was behind the tip.

The Met apologised to Sir Lindsay last night for ‘inadvertently revealing information during an investigation into allegations of misconduct in public office’.

And in a statement today it said: ‘The Met has also apologised to the Speaker of the House of Lords, following the inadvertent revealing of information into allegations of misconduct in public office.’ 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Hull City secure Premier League promotion after late McBurnie winner

MATT BARLOW AT WEMBLEY: After all the spies, subterfuge and pretend binoculars came the eye of the Tigers. One sucker punch from Oli McBurnie and Hull are returning to the top flight.

Oleksandr Usyk escapes with an 11th-round stoppage against Verhoeven

Usyk remarkably appeared at risk of losing to the impressive Dutchman, who was competing in just his second professional fight in front of the Egyptian pyramids in Giza.

CELTIC 3 DUNFERMLINE 1: Martin O’Neill pulls off miraculous double

Quite how a season that once looked certain to be sucked into a black hole ended with a second lump of silverware glinting in the Hampden sunlight still takes a bit of figuring out.

George Russell claims pole position for rain-threatened Canadian GP

He had wobbled and struggled throughout the qualifying session but at the death he roared through and supplanted his teammate Kimi Antonelli, pushing him to second on the grid.

Mohamed Salah sends message to Arne Slot and Liverpool team-mates

Salah is set to bring the curtain down on an illustrious, record-breaking nine-year spell at Anfield, where he became the club's third-highest goalscorer of all time with 255.

Meet the contrvoersial billionaire behind new ‘Doping Olympics’

When the world first heard whispers of a multi-million dollar sports event backed by elite athletes openly embracing performance-enhancing drugs, skepticism was swift.

Two SHOT outside White House prompting lockdown as staff run for cover

Correspondents stationed near the White House said they heard what appeared to be repeated gunfire on Saturday, triggering an immediate security response around the grounds.

Why Democrats are turning against Obama over $850million trash can

It looms over the poverty-stricken South Side of Chicago like a vast meteorite that has just plunged to Earth and embedded itself in the Windy City.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img