16.1 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

NATO ‘considers deploying to Strait of Hormuz if it stays closed’

NATO is considering deploying a mission to the Strait of Hormuz if the waterway remains closed by July. 

The Strait has been all but blocked since late February, after Iran deployed its navy there following the US and Israel’s air war against the nation. 

Iran still has a chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz, the vital shipping lane for global oil supplies, even as the US military has enforced its own blockade on Iranian ports. 

The channel of water ordinarily sees a fifth of all oil pass through every day. Since its closure, oil prices have dramatically spiked. 

The result of the ongoing cessation of ships sailing through the waterway appears to have massively shifted NATO’s strategy regarding the Middle East. 

Though Donald Trump has desperately tried to get the US’ international partners to get involved with his war, the defence bloc has so far said it will only get involved once fighting has stopped and they can form a broad coalition that includes non-NATO members. 

But a diplomat told Bloomberg that the idea of sending a mission to Hormuz is gaining traction, though unanimous support has not yet been reached. 

A senior NATO official, meanwhile, said that while a few member nations still oppose authorising a mission, they will likely rally around the plan if the blockade carries on. 

Officers of the NATO Special Operations Forces are seen during the Trojan Footprint 2026 (TFP26) military exercise at sea in Constanta, south-eastern Romania, on May 18, 2026

Officers of the NATO Special Operations Forces are seen during the Trojan Footprint 2026 (TFP26) military exercise at sea in Constanta, south-eastern Romania, on May 18, 2026

NATO is considering deploying a mission to the Strait of Hormuz if the waterway remains closed by July

NATO is considering deploying a mission to the Strait of Hormuz if the waterway remains closed by July

The war in Iran has split NATO. While some member states, like Spain, have outright refused to engage and have denied Trump the use of bases on their soil, others have quietly allowed the US to access their bases to provide logistical support.  

Read More

BREAKING NEWS Trump backs down from ‘full scale’ Iran attack scheduled for TOMORROW after plea from Gulf allies

article image

Trump has lashed out at his NATO allies for their refusal to engage in his war, recently announcing the US would pull 5,000 troops from its bases in Germany.  

Trump has considered himself an effective dealmaker above all else, but he appears to have hit a wall with Iran as his tough talk, threats and even military action haven’t moved Tehran from its long-established positions.

With shifting goals that make it difficult to judge the status of the US effort, Trump and his top aides have insisted the US has already won the war and that Iran is ready to reach an agreement in the wake of escalating US threats during a tenuous ceasefire.

But Trump once again backed down, saying Monday that he’d put plans for an imminent resumption of attacks on hold at the request of Gulf Arab states because ‘serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.’

It comes as US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent today called on allies to more forcefully disrupt Iran’s financing networks and said the Treasury would scrub its sanctions list of outdated designations to make it easier for financial institutions to root out the most sophisticated terrorist financing schemes.

In remarks prepared for delivery at an anti-terrorism financing conference after G7 finance leaders met in Paris, Bessent said that participants needed to ‘stand with us in full measure’ against Iran.

Donald Trump speaks to the press aboard Air Force One enroute to the U.S. following his official visit with President Xi Jinping in China, May 15

Donald Trump speaks to the press aboard Air Force One enroute to the U.S. following his official visit with President Xi Jinping in China, May 15 

AH-64 Apaches flying above the Strait of Hormuz during a patrol on April 17

AH-64 Apaches flying above the Strait of Hormuz during a patrol on April 17 

‘That will require, for example, our European partners to join the United States in taking action against Iran by designating its financiers, unmasking its shell and front companies, shuttering its bank branches, and dismantling its proxies,’ Bessent said. 

Read More

World’s oil stocks are running out ‘very fast’ amid Middle East chaos, IEA boss warns

article image

‘It will require those of you in the Middle East and Asia to root out Iran’s shadow banking networks.’

As the Trump administration tries to pressure Tehran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz to unlock vital oil flows disrupted by the US-Israeli attacks on Iran, the US Treasury has stepped up its sanctions efforts through a program dubbed ‘Economic Fury.’ 

It aims to disrupt Iran’s shadow banking networks, and has frozen nearly half a billion dollars worth of cryptocurrency linked to Iran’s regime.

To make this more effective, the Treasury will modernize its sanctions architecture because ‘our adversaries adapt and innovate’ by creating new shell companies.

Most US Treasury sanctions are imposed on individuals, companies and other entities that are added to its Specially Designated Nationals List, which contains tens of thousands of designees that are cut off from the dollar-based financial system and see assets frozen. Anyone that transacts with designated entities risks being sanctioned themselves.

‘To sharpen national security outcomes, Treasury is tailoring our sanctions program for the 21st century. We are reviewing outdated and obsolete designations to help financial institutions focus on the most sophisticated terrorist financing and sanctions evasion schemes,’ Bessent said.

An oil tanker burns after being hit by an Iranian strike in the ship-to-ship transfer zone at Khor al-Zubair port near Basra, Iraq, late Wednesday, March 11

An oil tanker burns after being hit by an Iranian strike in the ship-to-ship transfer zone at Khor al-Zubair port near Basra, Iraq, late Wednesday, March 11

He said the most effective sanctions are aggressive and targeted, and those left in place too long could create unintended consequences.

‘Sanctions are meant to change behaviour, not to punish populations,’ Bessent said. ‘Sanctions left in place for years with no visible and tangible changes in behaviour can have generational impacts that are nearly impossible to predict.’

He said the Treasury’s approach would ‘maintain agility to maximize effectiveness’ and cited examples of easing sanctions on Syria and Venezuela after regime changes as examples of how the Trump administration intends to adjust sanctions.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Camilla pours a Guinness in Northern Ireland

Her Majesty arrived in Hillsborough, the royal residence of Northern Ireland, this morning where she met with staff members of the city council and local business owners.

Southampton didn’t even WIN the games they admit to cheating on

The club has also been hit with a four-point deduction ahead of next season. An appeal will be heard by an independent arbitration panel on Wednesday.

Revealed: Furious Southampton stars considering suing their own club

The squad's senior leaders have discussed the matter and are said to be furious, not only because of the financial impact, but the sporting loss.

Meghan Markle made rare visit to the UK following trip to Geneva

The Duchess of Sussex, 44, was in Switzerland on Sunday for the World Health Organisation's 79th World Health Assembly, held at the United Nations' headquarters in Place des Nations.

How to tell if you’re one of 500,000 being UNDERPAID on state pension

We have almost reached the stage where people should start from the assumption that their pension may be wrong and make sure they check thoroughly that everything is in order.

HS2 boss admits new £100bn cost is ‘terrible news’

Mark Wild, who was parachuted in to rescue HS2 after doing the same for Crossrail, told MPs today that he was convinced it would not be delayed any further.

Southampton didn’t even WIN the games they admit to cheating on

The club has also been hit with a four-point deduction ahead of next season. An appeal will be heard by an independent arbitration panel on Wednesday.

Rachel Reeves allies ‘urging Burnham to keep her on as Chancellor’

Rachel Reeves' allies have been stressing that Andy Burnham will need someone 'the bond markets trust' if he succeeds in becoming PM.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img