15.4 C
London
Sunday, May 24, 2026

Why NASCAR won’t postpone its next race after Kyle Busch’s shock death

NASCAR chief Steve O’Donnell has insisted they will not postpone any upcoming events following the death of Kyle Busch because he would want them to keep racing.

Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion and father of two, was hospitalized on Thursday with an unspecified severe illness. Hours later, NASCAR announced that he had died at the age of 41. 

Busch’s family revealed Saturday that ‘severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis’ was his cause of death.

A statement read: ‘The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications.’ 

Busch, who competed in more than 760 races during a storied 24-year career, is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, four. 

While he refused to answer any medical questions following Busch’s death, O’Donnell was asked if NASCAR were considering canceling the Coca-Cola 600 race on Sunday.

NASCAR driver Busch died at the age of 41 shortly after being hospitalized on Thursday

NASCAR driver Busch died at the age of 41 shortly after being hospitalized on Thursday 

NASCAR chief Steve O'Donnell insisted Busch would want the Coca-Cola 600 to go ahead

NASCAR chief Steve O’Donnell insisted Busch would want the Coca-Cola 600 to go ahead

He replied: ‘I think it’s a fair question, but when you look at what minimal conversations did take place between RCR, ourselves, family, it was – Kyle Busch would probably be pretty p***ed off if we didn’t race.

Read More

EXCLUSIVE Inside Kyle Busch’s heartbreaking final days: Warning signs fan spotted… mystery that alarmed friend… and truth about life insurance ‘scam’

article image

‘So we’re gonna honor his memory and make sure people know what he was all about.’

Busch was testing in the Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was transported to a hospital in Charlotte, as per the Associated Press.

And while a cause of death has not yet emerged, Busch was struggling with something in his final weeks.

He radioed for medical assistance from his car in the middle of one of his final NASCAR races on May 10 in upstate New York, just days before his death.

And now, another eerie clip has emerged from May 16 of Busch being asked if he had recovered from what he thought was simply a nasty cough.

‘I had a pretty – you can kind of still hear it, I’m still not great,’ Busch said, waving his hand to his face as he spoke to Jeff Gluck of The Athletic. ‘But er, the cough was pretty substantial.’

In a clip from Busch’s May 10 race, he was asking for a doctor to urgently meet him to give him ‘a shot’.

With 38 laps to go in the NASCAR Cup Series game, Busch told his team over the radio: ‘Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel? He’s the kindred doctor guy. Tell him I need him after the race, please.’

He was then asked whether he needed the doctor at his car or his bus, to which he replied: ‘Uh, bus. I’m going to need a shot.’

An in memoriam photo of Busch was shown on the video board at Charlotte Motor Speedway

An in memoriam photo of Busch was shown on the video board at Charlotte Motor Speedway

A flag is raised in honor of Busch at the track where this week's Coca-Cola 600 will take place

A flag is raised in honor of Busch at the track where this week’s Coca-Cola 600 will take place

According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course.

Busch went on to claim his record fifth NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series trophy that day, despite clearly still struggling with illness.

Following his death, which came just six days after the victory, a heartbreaking clip of Busch’s post-race interview resurfaced.

After earning his 69th career Trucks Series race win with the triumph at Dover, Busch was asked how many races he wanted to win in his career before he stops racing.

‘You take whatever you can get, man,’ Busch said. ‘You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all – trust me.’

It remains unclear whether his sinus issues and cough were related to the cause of his death.

Following the tragic news, the NASCAR great’s son Brexton, who celebrated his 11th birthday just three days before his father’s passing, made a subtle tribute on social media. 

Brexton updated his profile pictures on Instagram and Facebook to an image of him embracing his dad on Friday. 

The photo was taken on February 21 when Busch and his family celebrated his victory at the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Fr8 Racing 208 at Echo Park Speedway in Georgia.

Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, four

Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, four

Busch had radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid during a race on May 10

Busch had radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid during a race on May 10

In the moments after the victorious Busch crossed the finish line, Brexton had rushed to greet him in emotional scenes. 

Donald Trump paid tribute to Busch and his family on Friday night, praising the driver as a ‘true talent’ as he addressed the tragic passing.  

The president previously commended Busch and his wife Samantha’s campaigning for affordable in vitro fertilization treatment. 

‘The LEGENDARY NASCAR Driver Kyle Busch tragically and unexpectedly passed away yesterday,’ the president began in a post shared to Truth Social. 

‘He was a true talent who loved NASCAR and its fans. Kyle was a WINNER! He was a two time Cup Champion, and holds the All Time Record for WINS in NASCAR’s Top Three series, and even won another just last weekend. 

‘Kyle’s wife, Samantha, and their two beautiful children are in our thoughts and prayers. Samantha was at the White House in October, for IVF. She truly loved Kyle!’

He added: ‘Rest in Peace Kyle Busch. You will always be a LEGEND!’

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Two SHOT outside White House staff and reporters to rush for cover

Correspondents stationed near the White House said they heard what appeared to be repeated gunfire on Saturday, triggering an immediate security response around the grounds.

Two SHOT outside White House staff and reporters to rush for cover

Correspondents stationed near the White House said they heard what appeared to be repeated gunfire on Saturday, triggering an immediate security response around the grounds.

State of emergency in California as chemical tank threatens to explode

Newsom said the state is 'mobilizing every resource available' after more than 40,000 residents were ordered to evacuate Orange County.

State of emergency in California as chemical tank threatens to explode

Newsom said the state is 'mobilizing every resource available' after more than 40,000 residents were ordered to evacuate Orange County.

‘Everton is the People’s Club – and Seamus is a man of the people’

Leighton Baines, David Moyes, James Tarkowski, James McCarthy, Dominic Calvert-Lewin reveal what makes Seamus Coleman an Everton legend as he prepares for his final game for the club.

Why insiders say ‘furious’ Tom Hardy WON’T be appearing on Mobland

As charismatic fixer Harry Da Souza in gangster drama MobLand, he is the calm lynchpin separating two warring crime families. But when it comes to Tom Hardy himself, it seems life does not imitate art.

REVEALED: Racy past of ‘squeaky-clean’ Emma Willis

So wholesome is Emma Willis that she even trained as a midwifery assistant in 2019 for Channel 4 's Delivering Babies, which saw her lend a hand on a maternity ward.

I was having incredible sex with a hunk, but was I REALLY into WOMEN?

When I was 12, I secretly thought I might fancy girls and it petrified me. I definitely didn't want to be gay; I wanted, desperately, a boyfriend, and then I wanted a husband and children.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img