27.7 C
London
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Carrick confirmed as new Man United manager on two-year contract

Michael Carrick has been appointed Manchester United head coach on a full-time basis, the club have confirmed.

Carrick has been handed a two-year contract as a reward for the job he has done since being installed until the end of the season in January.

The 44-year-old former United midfielder has secured qualification for next season’s Champions League by winning 11 of his 16 games in charge to clinch third place in the Premier League behind Arsenal and Manchester City.

‘From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United,’ said Carrick. ‘Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride.

‘Throughout the past five months this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here. 

‘Now it’s time to move forward together, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose. Manchester United and our incredible supporters deserve to be challenging for the biggest honours again.’

Michael Carrick secured United's qualification for next season's Champions League by winning 10 of his 15 games in charge

Michael Carrick secured United’s qualification for next season’s Champions League by winning 10 of his 15 games in charge

Carrick pictured with United chief Jason Wilcox after signing a two-year deal

Carrick pictured with United chief Jason Wilcox after signing a two-year deal

United sources say it wasn’t guaranteed that Carrick would land the full-time job, but wins over City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Aston Villa, in particular, counted heavily in his favour. 

Not only have results and performances been better since he replaced Ruben Amorim, but there has been a notable improvement in the culture around Carrington compared to the fraught final stages of the Portuguese coach’s reign. Insiders have described the shift in mood as ‘huge and positive’.

Club bosses were impressed with the way Carrick and his staff have stepped into their roles and adapted so quickly, with Carrick’s attention to the academy teams – also in contrast to the Amorim era – another big plus.

What is said to have been a ‘discreet and thorough process’ was led by director of football Jason Wilcox as United took their time over making a final decision and weighed up several other candidates. 

Bournemouth’s Andoni Iraola was high among them, but once he was ruled out of contention last week, the path was clear for Carrick. Chief executive Omar Berrada made a recommendation to the board and both sets of owners, the Glazers and Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who were all aligned on the decision.

Matheus Cunha was one of several stars to openly back Carrick for the top job

Matheus Cunha was one of several stars to openly back Carrick for the top job

Wilcox said: ‘Michael has thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading our men’s team. In the time he has been doing the role, we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that, an approach which aligns with the club’s values, traditions and history.

‘Michael’s achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated. He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build.’

Carrick, who has been nominated for the Premier League manager of the season award despite being in charge for less than half the campaign, becomes the seventh permanent boss at United in the 13 years since Sir Alex Ferguson retired.

His backroom team of Steve Holland, Jonathan Woodgate, Jonny Evans and Travis Binnion are also set to be rewarded with new contracts, which will be confirmed once United finalise the paperwork. 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Man dies after falling from city centre hotel in Manchester

A  man has died in Manchester after falling from a building in the city centre. 

Hawkstone Farmers’ Choir is the final act to reach the finale

Hawkstone Farmers' Choir became the final act to reach the Britain Got Talent after done performers Celestial were sent through in a shock Golden Buzzer twist on Saturday.

Demi Moore turns heads in a bizarre look at Cannes closing ceremony

Demi Moore turned heads in a bizarre look as she joined Eva Longoria and Penelope Cruz at the 79th Cannes Film Festival's closing ceremony on Saturday.

Lee Andrews’ ‘biker babe’ shares cryptic message about love

Lee Andrews' 'biker babe' has shared a cryptic message about love after she was followed on Instagram by Katie Price's husband. 

Channel 4’s Huw Edwards interview a ‘disgrace’ says victim’s mother

Edwards is in talks with Channel 4 to tell his side of the story after he was convicted of possessing indecent images of children, it has been reported.

Idris Elba confirms he was never in the running to play James Bond

Idris Elba has put the rumours to bed once and for all as he claimed he has never been a contender for the role of James Bond, despite years of rumours. 

Lena Dunham reveals husband had no clue she was in Girls

The Golden Globe winner, 40, spoke about meeting the British musician during a Q&A in Los Angeles with former castmate Rita Wilson to promote her new memoir Famesick.

Hull boss Jakirovic: Southampton Spygate scandal IS a laughing matter

MATT BARLOW AT WEMBLEY: Jubilant Hull boss Sergej Jakirovic claimed the Southampton 'Spygate' affair would have been dismissed as a joke in his native Balkans instead of being a scandal.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img