23.4 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Met Police will keep just TWO front desks open as pledge falls apart

Londoners will have only two police station front counters open 24 hours a day – despite Sadiq Khan’s promise to have one in every borough.

The move is part of a cost-cutting scheme to save £260million which has included cutting 1,700 officers and staff.

The counters will remain open at their busiest sites in Charring Cross and Lewisham, while the total of them across the capital has dropped from 37 to 27, which is set to save £7million – less than three per cent of the shortfall the force is facing in its budget.

There will be 25 spread across London and operate Monday to Friday, 10am until 10pm, and 9am until 7pm at weekends.

It kills off London’s Mayor Sir Sadiq Khan’s manifesto pledge to have at least one 24-hour counter open in each of the capital’s 32 boroughs.

But last month he claimed ‘very few’ people now use desks and the cash could be better spent on local policing – despite the fact they were used to report 50,000 crimes last year.

Campaigners have urged that the closure of police station front desks will ‘undoubtedly’ lead to a rise in crime.

One member of police staff said the desks were ‘always busy’, with extra officers being called in to man them. 

London will have only two police station front counters open 24 hours a day - despite Sadiq Khan 's promise to have one in every borough
The move is part of a cost-cutting scheme to save £260million which has included cutting 1,700 officers and staff (pictured: Bethnal Green station, which is set to lose its front desk)

While another told the BBC staff can’t even take breaks because there is no one to cover them.

He added removing the service will cement the public’s lack of trust in the force. 

The move has raised concerns for domestic abuse charity Refuge, who said the counters are the only way of contacting police for some.

Emma Pickering, its head of tech-facilitated abuse, said many survivors have said their phones are being monitored by their abusers and so don’t feel safe to call the police.

She added: ‘Some survivors report that their perpetrators actually work in the police, so they wouldn’t necessarily trust a phone call, they would want to be assured they know who they’re speaking to before they make any disclosures.’ 

Gareth Roberts, who sits on the London Assembly Police and Crime Committee for the Liberal Democrats has also disapproved of the plans.

He said it will have ‘real consequences for hundreds, if not thousands of Londoners’, and hit the elderly, disabled and people who can’t speak English because they often find it easier to speak to someone in person rather than completing a form.

Mr Roberts added: ‘When you start losing bricks and mortar, the ability to come in and interact when you want to see a police person, that’s going to have a big impact on confidence.

Unite's general secretary Sharon Graham (pictured) has claimed the cuts will 'undoubtedly' lead to a rise in crime

‘This just looks like police are retrenching, that they’re moving back, they’re taking away from the local communities.

‘The other thing on everyone’s mind is, if it’s police front counters today, then is it going to be the actual police stations tomorrow?’  

Assistant Commissioner Matt Twist said: ‘The Met is having to shrink to live within its means and as the public would expect, we are targeting our resources on a narrower set of their priorities to make London safer.

‘Londoners tell us they want more visible and responsive policing on the capital’s streets and that is exactly what we are going to deliver.

‘But we have also listened to their views during an extensive engagement process and, while our funding gap means we must reduce provision, we will keep more front counters open across London.’

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham previously blasted the revision to the Met Police’s cost-cutting exercise.

She said: ‘The plans to close so many police station front desks is an incredibly short-sighted decision by the Metropolitan Police, which will undoubtedly lead to more crime, higher levels of crimes being unreported and increased staff stress.’ 

‘The fact it is forcing such serious cuts through without any consultation with Unite is completely unacceptable.

‘Unite will fight these savage cuts to services every step of the way to protect our hard-working members as well as the general public who will also suffer from this decision.’

While one front desk worker said: ‘People will just not report crimes as they have no means to. This will make the streets of London even more dangerous than they already are – more cuts equals more crime.’  

Seven more front counters will remain open than under a provisional proposal, after Londoners made clear that keeping one in their area was more important than having them available 24/7.

Unite is planning a series of protests outside police stations in response to the plans.

Forensics, historic crime, mounted police and dog teams are also being cut, and the organised crime-busting Flying Squad may lose its guns.

Mr Khan sought to justify the cuts to front desks to London Assembly members during Mayor’s Question Time last month – while seemingly ducking that he had pledged to keep one open in each borough prior to being elected again.

He said closure decisions were ‘operational’ choices for the Met to make – despite intervening to save Uxbridge police station shortly before the by-election in Boris Johnson’s constituency after the former MP appealed to him to do so.

‘Any changes to the number of police front counters or their opening times is, of course, ultimately, an operational decision for the Met to take based on resources, funding and public demand for services,’ he said.

Asked why he made a promise he couldn’t keep, he retorted: ‘When the facts change, I change my mind.’

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Teacher denies killing baby and said he was ‘never’ sexually abused

A teacher accused of murdering a baby he was adopting with his partner denied killing the infant and declared: 'our son has never been sexually abused'.

Parents abandon blindfolded brothers in Portuguese woods

Two young brothers have been abandoned by their parents in a wooded area in Portugal, after they took the boys there and left them blindfolded. 

Shocked Harry Maguire is AXED from England’s World Cup squad

Harry Maguire has not been picked in the England squad for this summer's World Cup by manager Thomas Tuchel.

Teacher denies killing baby and said he was ‘never’ sexually abused

A teacher accused of murdering a baby he was adopting with his partner denied killing the infant and declared: 'our son has never been sexually abused'.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Parents abandon blindfolded brothers in Portuguese woods

Two young brothers have been abandoned by their parents in a wooded area in Portugal, after they took the boys there and left them blindfolded. 

Paris Fury checks with daughters pal if her bridesmaid dress has sold

Paris Fury has checked in with her daughter Venezuela's bridesmaid to see if she has sold her dress yet after revealing she was flogging the outfit.

Katie Price says she has ‘given up the search’ for her husband

Katie Price has said she is giving up the search for her 'kidnapped' husband Lee Andrews and will no longer speak about it a week after he first vanished.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img