13.6 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

MAFS next series ‘is axed’ amid claims brides were raped by husbands

The new series of Married at First Sight has been ‘axed’ by Channel 4 bosses after two former participants alleged they had been raped by their on-screen husbands.

The dating show was set to return to screens for its eleventh series in September, but plans to air the episodes, which wrapped last month, have now reportedly been scrapped. 

Earlier all ten series of Married at First Sight UK, known as MAFS UK, were removed from the channel’s streaming service and an external review into contributor welfare commissioned.

It comes after three women made allegations of rape and sexual misconduct against their partners on the show to the BBC’s Panorama in a documentary which aired last night.

Among them was Shona Manderson, who says she got an abortion after her on-screen husband, Brad Skelly, took things ‘too far’ during sex and ‘a boundary was crossed’ when he ejaculated inside her without permission.

Waiving her anonymity, she described how she ‘completely lost her light’ during filming, which saw experts raise concerns about Mr Skelly’s alleged ‘controlling’ manner towards her that saw them ultimately be asked to leave the show.

Two other female contestants reported being raped by their on-screen husbands, with one informing both Channel 4 and the production company only for the episodes to still be aired anyway.

The other described being left with bruises from the attack and said her partner also threatened to throw acid over her.

All the men are understood to deny the allegations against them. 

Mr Skelly said he understood his on-screen wife (pictured together) consented and said in a statement he categorically denied 'any allegations of sexual misconduct' or that he was 'controlling'

Mr Skelly said he understood his on-screen wife (pictured together) consented and said in a statement he categorically denied ‘any allegations of sexual misconduct’ or that he was ‘controlling’

The women say the show, produced by independent firm CPL, did not do enough to protect them and that welfare protocols were not sufficient.

And it’s been warned the series could even face a police probe. Security Minister Dan Jarvis has said he is ‘extremely concerned’, adding: ‘I think it’s highly likely that there will be a referral to the police and it will be a police matter for them to investigate.’ 

Ms Manderson, the only woman of the three who is identified, alleged her partner, Mr Skelly, ejaculated inside her without her permission leaving her ‘shocked’ and ‘confused’ as ‘we said we weren’t doing that’.

Ms Manderson later went to get the morning after pill and was accompanied by a welfare producer. But soon after she discovered she was pregnant and made the difficult decision to have an abortion.

She says she does not know for sure whether the pregnancy was a result of the incident. Ms Manderson later informed production company CPL about it, but lawyers for the firm say she told them she did not have a problem with it. 

Around the same time, Mr Skelly was being called out on air by the show’s experts for speaking to his partner in a controlling manner. The couple were later removed from the show due to concerns that their relationship was unhealthy.

In a statement to the BBC, Mr Skelly said he categorically denies ‘any allegations of sexual misconduct, or that he was controlling’.

A second woman, referred to by the pseudonym Lizzie, told Panorama her on-screen husband raped her and subjected her to violent sex that often left her with bruises, despite her telling him to stop.

She described how one night: ‘He tried to have sex with me. And I kept saying no, that I didn’t want to do it.

‘But he kept saying, “You can’t say no, you’re my wife”. And he just did it anyway.’

Lizzie added that she was too scared to tell anyone about what was happening as: ‘He said that if I told anybody what had happened, that he would get someone to throw acid at me.’

Lawyers for CPL told Panorama that Lizzie did not mention the ‘can’t say no’ comment to its team and the ‘acid’ remark was mentioned as a ‘passing comment’, not a threat. CPL took action as soon as Lizzie said she felt unsafe, the lawyers added.

Shona Manderson, who has waived her anonymity, alleged that Bradley Skelly engaged in a non-consensual sex act while they filmed the Channel 4 show, a claim he denies

Shona Manderson, who has waived her anonymity, alleged that Bradley Skelly engaged in a non-consensual sex act while they filmed the Channel 4 show, a claim he denies

A third woman, Chloe, also described being raped by her MAFS husband, with her allegations being raised both with CPL and Channel 4 prior to them being shown to the public – but the episodes in which she featured were aired anyway.

She told the programme: ‘He smirked and climbed on top of me, moved my leg… By that time, I’d really given up and I just didn’t want him to be angry at me when the cameras came.

‘I just lay there, and I stared out the window.’

Chloe – also a pseudonym – added that once her partner noticed she was not participating, he told her: ‘You’re making me feel like a rapist’. 

It is understood that both men implicated in the allegations deny the accounts. 

Lawyers for CPL told the BBC its welfare system is ‘gold standard’ and it acted appropriately.

Shortly before the Panorama episode aired, Channel 4 announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare last month.

‘In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied,’ a statement from the broadcaster said.

‘The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.

‘Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols.

‘Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

‘Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.’

Read More

MAFS UK bride Shona Manderson’s on-screen husband posts cryptic message amid sex misconduct claims

article image

Priya Dogra, chief executive of Channel 4, said: ‘I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married At First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.

‘It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.

‘Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.

‘We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.

‘On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.’

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Chandler’s last supper with Friends: Star’s album of photos for sale

Now never-before-seen photographs of the stars gathered at the intimate farewell meal marking the end of the show have emerged in a sale from Matthew Perry's estate.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

Chandler’s last supper with Friends: Star’s album of photos for sale

Now never-before-seen photographs of the stars gathered at the intimate farewell meal marking the end of the show have emerged in a sale from Matthew Perry's estate.

Revealed: Secret deal to keep ‘temporary’ migrant camp open until 2030

A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months.

Preposterous! M&S boss hits out in backlash at plan to cap food prices

Marks & Spencer, the Bank of England and the CBI hit out at the Chancellor's suggestion that stores limit the price of essentials such as eggs, bread and milk.

CHRISTOPHER STEVENS reviews Under Suspicion: Kate McCann

The sheer depth of Bayston's grief, the rawness of her anger, all the frustration, disbelief, torment, disillusion and horror that poured out of her was awe-inspiring.

McGinn jokes Prince William ‘will get his credit card out’ for party

Prince William shared some final words of support before kick-off in the dressing room and McGinn was left hoping His Royal Highness would put his hand in his pocket to get the party started.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img