12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Kylian Mbappe he is Real Madrid’s ‘fourth choice striker’ denied

Kylian Mbappe claims he has been told he is ‘fourth choice striker’ at Real Madrid after starting on the bench against Real Oviedo, but the Frenchman’s comments were swiftly denied by boss Alvaro Arbeloa.

Mbappe began on the bench after returning from injury, but was brought on in the 69th minute for Gonzalo Garcia, who had given Real Madrid a 1-0 lead in the first half.

The return of Mbappe was greeted by whistles from the Bernabeu crowd, with the forward having become a divisive figure among supporters in recent weeks.

An ‘Mbappe Out’ campaign has surpassed 70 million signatures online, with the Frenchman’s commitment having been questioned by fans.

After Real Madrid earned a 2-0 victory over Real Oviedo on Thursday night, with Bellingham scoring the second, Mbappe claimed that Arbeloa had told him he is now ‘fourth choice’ forward.

‘I’m 100 per cent fine,’ Mbappe told reporters post-match. 

Kylian Mbappe has claimed he has been told he is now Real Madrid’s fourth choice striker

Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa denied Mbappe's claim in his post-match press conference

Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa denied Mbappe’s claim in his post-match press conference

‘I didn’t play because the coach told me I’m the fourth striker in the squad behind (Franco) Mastantuono, Vini (Vinícius Júnior) and Gonzalo (García). 

‘I accept it and play the time I’m given. I think I played well.

‘I was ready to start. I’m not angry with the manager, you always have to respect a coach’s decision. 

‘I’ll work hard to get back into the starting lineup.’

Mbappe also brushed off jeers and whistles from Real Madrid fans, insisting it was the ‘life of a famous player’ and he would work to ‘change the situation’.

Under-fire boss Arbeloa was asked about Mbappe’s remarks post-match, with the Spaniard denying making such a statement to the forward. 

He pointed to Mbappe having not been fit enough to make the bench against Barcelona, suggesting it was logical for him not to start. 

‘I wish I had four forwards. I don’t have four forwards, and I certainly didn’t say anything like that to Mbappe,’ Arbeloa said.

‘Perhaps he didn’t understand me. I don’t know what else to tell you. At no point could I tell him that he’s the fourth-choice forward.

‘I’m the coach, and I’m the one who decides who plays and who doesn’t. I had a conversation with him before the match. I don’t know how he might have interpreted it. 

Mbappe was whistled by Real Madrid fans as he was brought on as a second half substitute

Mbappe was whistled by Real Madrid fans as he was brought on as a second half substitute

‘A player who wasn’t on the bench four days ago shouldn’t start today. It’s not a final, it’s not a do-or-die situation. 

‘I can understand that Mbappe isn’t happy about not playing, but it’s a decision based on the circumstances. ‘It was the most logical and natural thing to do, the most common-sense thing.

‘If you want, you can show me Kylian’s mixed zone [comments] and we can discuss it. Until I hear what he said, I’m not going to comment on every single sentence. 

‘As long as I’m in this position, I decide who plays and who doesn’t. I don’t care what their names are.’

Mbappe, who was confirmed in France’s World Cup squad on Thursday, defended his own conduct at Real Madrid earlier this month.

It followed claims Mbappe had spoken angrily and in insulting terms towards the assistant, who was acting as a referee during a training match. 

Mbappe was also criticised for taking a holiday on a luxury yacht with his new girlfriend, while his team-mates prepared to face Barcelona in El Clasico.

The forward missed the clash through injury, where Real Madrid lost 2-0 as Barcelona sealed the LaLiga title at the Camp Nou.

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez appeared to have rowed with fans at the Bernabeu

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez appeared to have rowed with fans at the Bernabeu 

Mbappe and Arbeloa’s differing comments come amid a dramatic period at Real Madrid, reflected by the sight of president Florentino Perez appearing to row with fans at the Bernabeu on Thursday.

The 71-year-old announced presidential elections in a rare press conference this week, after hitting out at perceived threats in the media, the standard of refereeing and possible rivals who he told to come forward and challenge him.

Perez had denied claims Real Madrid have descended into chaos, after it emerged last week that midfielder Federico Valverde was taken to hospital after an altercation with Aurelien Tchouameni, the second row in two days between the pair. 

Alvaro Carreras and Antonio Rudiger were also reportedly involved in a physical altercation, impacting the mood around the club even further in a season that will end without a trophy. 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Shirley Ballas reveals why the new presenters got Strictly gig

Emma Willis, 50, Josh Widdicombe, 43, and professional dancer Johannes Radebe, 39, will take over from outgoing hosts Tess Daly , 57, and Claudia Winkleman, 54.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘boasted he was an arms dealer’

The 'businessman' 'boasted he was an arms dealer who worked with dangerous people' in the weeks before his mystery disappearance, according to reports.

Girl, 15, is ‘bundled into van by random knifeman and held for hours’

The 15-year-old said she was threatened with a knife during a seven-hour kidnapping which took place when she was walking in Bowdon, a village in Altrincham, on Monday evening.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Family rallies around Kai Trump amid mom Vanessa’s shock cancer news

Family members gathered to support Kai Trump, the president's eldest grandchild, amid her mother's sudden breast cancer diagnosis.

JOAN SMITH: Why women can never trust Andy Burnham

Women shouldn't trust Andy Burnham. Every time the question of single-sex spaces comes up, he takes the side of biological men.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img