12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Home Office will seek to deport hotel migrant jailed for assault

The Home Office will seek to deport an asylum seeker after he was jailed for a year for sexual assaults on a woman and a 14-year-old girl that led to nationwide protests.

Ethiopian national Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, who arrived in the UK on a small boat days before the incidents, was found guilty of five offences after a three-day trial at Chelmsford and Colchester magistrates’ courts.

It is understood that the Home Office will look to deport Kebatu, with the Government conducting returns and deportations to the African nation regularly.

Today, a judge told the 38-year-old his behaviour ‘really highlights the poor regard you must have for women’, adding Kebatu was ‘feeling sorry for yourself, knowing you were well and truly caught’.

The sentencing hearing at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court was told Kebatu wants to be deported after serving his time in prison, with his defence lawyer Molly Dyas adding it is a view he held ‘before the trial’.

Judge Williams said there ‘remains little known’ about Kebatu as he ‘refused to engage and open up’ to the probation officer, adding ‘I had anticipated that there would be evidence of some traumatic life experiences’.

Prosecutor Stuart Cowen told the court the defendant had claimed he ‘didn’t know how strict the UK was’.

Kebatu, who wore a grey sweater and tracksuit bottoms, looked around nervously as he entered the courtroom.

The defendant had ‘repeatedly cried’ and said he was ‘ashamed’ but the judge added: ‘It is evident that your shame and remorse is not because of the offences you’ve committed but because of the impact they have had.’

Ethiopian national Hadush Kebatu was jailed for 12 months today for sexually assaulting a schoolgirl and groping

Kebatu is seen on police bodycam footage during his arrest in Epping after a woman raised concerns about his behaviour towards a teenage girl

The judge said Kebatu told a probation officer he was ‘aware of the unrest that (the) offending had caused’ and he knew ‘other law-abiding asylum seekers were impacted by the offending’.

Kebatu, who the court heard had tried to take his own life while on remand in prison, showed no emotion as he was told his sentence.

Judge Williams said he couldn’t suspend the sentence as there was ‘no realistic prospect’ of him being rehabilitated. ‘You pose a significant risk of reoffending,’ he added.

Kebatu, who was also made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and told to sign the sex offenders register, must also pay £650 court costs.

The teenage girl – who can’t be identified for legal reasons – said in a victim impact statement read out by the prosecutor: ‘Every time I go out with my friends I am checking over my shoulder.

‘If I do go out, I go home to change what I’m wearing so it’s not school uniform. My school skirt now makes me feel exposed.’

The girl added: ‘Seeing the bench (where the sexual assault took place) reminds me of everything that happened.’

The woman Kebatu assaulted said in her statement: ‘I am angry because he didn’t appear to know what he’d done was wrong.’

She added: ‘I want him to feel guilty for what he put us through. How would he feel if this was his mother, his daughter, his wife?’

Molly Dyas, defending, said her client had a ‘difficult and lengthy journey through Europe to get to the UK.

But she said his mental health had suffered, adding: ‘His firm wish is to be deported as soon as possible.’

Extraordinary body-worn police footage taken as police arrested Kebatu showed him breaking down in tears as he was handcuffed at the side of the road.

Opening the trial last month, prosecutor Stuart Cowen said: ‘The court will hear from a number of witnesses that on July 7, the defendant was in Epping.

‘The complainant, a 14-year-old girl, will state that her group were on a bench eating pizza and were approached by the defendant who appeared hungry.

‘They offered him some pizza, which he accepted. 

‘He sat next to the girl on the bench and, without any encouragement, began to make inappropriate comments to her and her friends.

‘He said he wanted to have a baby with the girl and attempted to kiss her. He invited the group back to the Bell Hotel where he was a resident, having recently arrived in the UK.

‘His advances were rejected and it was made clear to him that the girl and her friend were 14 years of age. His response was that ‘age did not matter’.’

The court heard the girl and her friends then got up and walked to Tesco, with Kebatu following them.

Councillors in Epping won an injunction to shut down the Bell Hotel, where migrants including Mr Kebatu were housed before it was overturned at the Court of Appeal. The case will be heard at the High Court next month

‘There was no actual sexual assault on that date but the Crown will say the attempted sexual assault was the attempt to kiss her,’ Mr Cowen said.

‘On July 8, the defendant saw the girl and her friends on the bench and approached them and the same kind of behaviour was repeated. Unlike the previous day, the girl was wearing her school uniform.

‘Similar advances were made and rejected. Such was the girl’s discomfort that a boy came and sat between the girl and the defendant.

‘The defendant then tried to get the girl to kiss the boy. She didn’t want to do this because he is a friend only but, in an attempt to discourage the defendant, she kissed the boy on the cheek.

‘She will tell the court that while this was happening, the defendant appeared to be sexually aroused.’

The Home Office

Advertisement

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call

Netanyahu increasingly doubts that further negotiations with Tehran will produce a peace deal and wants to resume military strikes.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Family rallies around Kai Trump amid mom Vanessa’s shock cancer news

Family members gathered to support Kai Trump, the president's eldest grandchild, amid her mother's sudden breast cancer diagnosis.

Matthew Perry’s heartbroken mom recalls seeing son in the morgue

Matthew Perry's mother painted a heartbreaking picture of the day she saw her son's dead body in the morgue as she assailed his former assistant ahead of his sentencing hearing.

JOAN SMITH: Why women can never trust Andy Burnham

Women shouldn't trust Andy Burnham. Every time the question of single-sex spaces comes up, he takes the side of biological men.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Chandler’s last supper with Friends: Star’s album of photos for sale

Now never-before-seen photographs of the stars gathered at the intimate farewell meal marking the end of the show have emerged in a sale from Matthew Perry's estate.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img