French authorities have been forced to suspend controversial new EU border checks after holidaymakers became stuck in four-hour queues in the sweltering heat.
Images show total gridlock around the Port of Dover this morning with motorists looking to escape the UK for the Bank Holiday weekend facing huge tailbacks.
Holidaymakers have also complained of ‘utter chaos’ at Folkestone with passengers missing their scheduled LeShuttle services amid 30C temperatures.
The delays have been exacerbated by the roll out of a new automated EU border system that is slowing down people going through French passport control.
The scheme, which came into force on April 10, involves Britons having their fingerprints registered before they can enter the free movement Schengen Area.
However, French authorities are yet to switch on the machines at Dover that carry out these biometric checks, in turn causing lengthier delays.
Disgruntled passengers travelling through the ports have spoken of ‘journeys from hell’ in 31C with no roadside services or toilets.
One person posted on X: ‘Busy busy in Dover this morning, all roads in the town and leading to the port are chokka.’
Masses of cars queue for French border control at the Port of Dover today
Traffic queuing for the Euro Tunnel site along the M20 motorway in Folkestone, Kent
The queues at UK ports today come as the country is in the midst of a week-long heatwave – with temperatures expected to peak at 33C on Monday
Another added: ‘Queue to get into Dover via A20 currently extends to Folkestone. Journey from hell in 31C, no roadside services or toilets.’
A third said: ‘Utter chaos at Folkestone. No one has a clue what is going on. Already two hours delayed and counting.
‘Not even due to the new system, just sheer incompetence.’
In an update this lunchtime, the Port of Dover announced the new border checks had been suspended by French authorities to help clear the tailbacks.
It also said anyone who had missed their ferry crossing because of queues can travel on the next available slot free of charge.
Traffic at Dover is now ‘free flowing’, the port has announced after new EU border checks were suspended to ease congestion at the start of a hot bank holiday weekend.
In a bid to ease waits at the Port of Dover earlier on Saturday, the French authorities suspended extra EU border checks under its new entry/exit system (EES).
EES involves people from third-party countries such as the UK having their fingerprints registered and a photograph taken to enter the Schengen Area, which consists of 29 European countries, mainly in the EU.
In an update on Saturday afternoon, the port said: ‘The port and its approach roads are now free flowing on our peak day of the May half-term getaway weekend.’
It thanked the Police Aux Frontieres for supporting efforts to resolve long waits by suspending the extra checks.
The queues at UK ports today come as the country is in the midst of a week-long heatwave – with temperatures expected to peak at 33C on Monday.
Today is also set to be very warm and sunny with 30C likely to be recorded in the south of England, the Met Office said.
This would be higher than the temperatures forecast in Athens in Greece, Split in Croatia and even Victoria in the Seychelles.
An amber heat health alert for the ‘exceptional spell’ of ‘notable weather’ for May has been issued by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA).
It covers the East Midlands, West Midlands, the east of England, London and the South East and will remain in place until 5pm on Wednesday.
Waiting times at Dover peaked at around four hours this morning – with travellers booked at Folkestone also facing two-and-a-half hour delays.
The Port of Dover said in a statement: ‘We recognise that the border process is slower with the current EES system, and this May Half Term is the first peak period since its introduction.
‘French border teams are doing their best within the parameters given and are working with the highest available resources. We are continuing to work hard with them and our other partners to reduce wait times and get you on your way as quickly as possible.
‘It is extremely important to stick to main routes on your journey to the Port, as not doing so causes extra delays and access issues for our local community.’
Meanwhile, strike action and engineering work has been causing disruption on a number of routes on Britain’s railways this Bank Holiday weekend.
Walkouts by members of the Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association yesterday and today in a dispute over pay have affected West Midlands Railway (WMR) and London Northwestern Railway services.
Network Rail engineering work also means parts of key intercity lines will be shut.
People enjoy the sunshine at the Strand Lido in Gillingham today
Travellers booked onto the Shuttle service at Folkestone are facing two-and-a-half hour delays
Tourists out in the hot weather at Buckingham Palace in London today
People enjoy the hot weather in St James’s Park in London
The East Coast Main Line will be closed between York and Darlington from today through to Monday.
Buses will replace trains between Newport and Bristol Parkway from today for two weeks.
There will be no Thameslink services through central London between today and Monday, affecting services to Gatwick and Luton airports.
Travel trade organisation Abta said there will be a surge in families heading off on holiday this weekend as it marks the start of half-term breaks for many schools.
It reported strong demand for short-haul sunshine holidays in destinations such as mainland Spain, Italy, the Balearic and Canary Islands, and Portugal, as well as city breaks in Milan, Nice and Barcelona.
But representative body Airports Council International reported last month that EU border checks were causing delays of up to three hours, with airports in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy among the worst affected.
More than 100 easyJet passengers missed a flight from Milan Linate to Manchester last month because of delays at passport desks.



