15.7 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Enzo Maresca agrees three-year deal to replace Guardiola at Man City

Enzo Maresca is believed to have signed a three-year deal to replace outgoing Man City manager Pep Guardiola, after it was revealed that the legendary head coach will be leaving the Etihad at the end of the season. 

Speculation around Guardiola’s departure date has been rife as the season draws to a close, despite the Catalan having one year left on his contract. 

Daily Mail Sport reported exclusively however that Man City’s sponsors were among those to have been told that Guardiola will be calling time on a remarkable trophy-ladened spell on Sunday. 

The report also shared that Maresca, Guardiola’s former assistant, was a front-runner for the vacant spot in the dugout, with Fabrizio Romano confirming on Tuesday morning that the ex-Chelsea manager will be taking over. 

The Italian head coach has been out of work since his mutual departure from Stamford Bridge under strained circumstances on January 1. 

But even before his acrimonious mid-season exit, Maresca has been viewed as a long-term successor to Guardiola following their stint working together at Man City. 

Enzo Maresca is believed to be set to take over from former boss Pep Guardiola at Man City

Enzo Maresca is believed to be set to take over from former boss Pep Guardiola at Man City

The two worked together at the Etihad for a season and have been opposite numbers in the dugout over the last three campaigns

The two worked together at the Etihad for a season and have been opposite numbers in the dugout over the last three campaigns

The 46-year-old served as Guardiola’s assistant between 2022 and 2023 after previously coaching Man City’s youth sides, before departing to earn Championship promotion with Leicester. 

Maresca then went on to win the Uefa Conference League and the Club World Cup with Chelsea during his 18-month spell in west London.

Guardiola is set to celebrate his time in English football with an open-top bus parade in Manchester after winning the Carabao Cup and FA Cup this season, but until Monday night, the manager had been notably vague over his future plans. 

Before news broke of his shock exit, Guardiola had been keen to tamp down any suggestions that he would be commemorated with any fanfare. 

Read More

EXCLUSIVE The inside story of Guardiola’s decision to quit Man City – and why he’s chosen to go now

article image

‘The club don’t have to do anything, honestly,’ Guardiola, who has yet to officially confirm his departure, said. ‘The important thing in our lives is that when you look back, you can look with a big smile and say “that was good”.

‘Bernardo (Silva) and John (Stones) can feel that. We spoke about it over the last few days. When you’re old, a grandfather, you can look at the memories. That is the most important thing in life.’

Tired of addressing his contractual situation, Guardiola added with a dose of sarcasm: ‘Whatever happens at the end of the season – and when I extend my contract for three more years – I can look back and say, “how nice has that been?”

‘That is the most important thing by far. Most of the people who lived this time here together can feel it.’ 

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Prince William celebrates as his beloved Aston Villa win Europa League

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Casemiro closes in on MLS move ahead of Man United exit

The Manchester United midfielder has set his sights on a move to the American team and has worked to adjust his salary demands to fit in with their budget and MLS guidelines.

Prince William celebrates as his beloved Aston Villa win Europa League

Prince William has been offering words of encouragement in the dressing room to his beloved Aston Villa as they head into their Europa League final.

Freiburg vs Aston Villa – Europa League final LIVE: Score and updates

Follow Daily Mail Sport's live blog for the latest score, team news and updates as Aston Villa take on Freiburg in the Europa League final at Tupras Stadium in Turkey.

Southampton LOSE appeal for Championship play-off final ban

Southampton have lost their appeal against the EFL, with Middlesbrough now officially confirmed as Hull City's opponents in Sunday's Championship play-off final.

Aston Villa land the major trophy their stunning progress has deserved

Villa are back. Outstanding strikes from Youri Tielemans and Emiliano Buendia inside seven minutes at the end of the first half were enough to see off Freiburg and seal the Europa League title.

Prince William celebrates as his beloved Aston Villa win Europa League

Prince William has been offering words of encouragement in the dressing room to his beloved Aston Villa as they head into their Europa League final.

Son of boxing legend ‘arrested trying to break into his dad’s house’

The report claims that Daniel Ray Leonard, 25, left the property in the back of a police car after 'violating a restraining order'. He is the youngest son of the boxing icon, and his fourth child overall.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img