12.3 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Forgotten ex-Chelsea star makes heartwarming offer to volcano victim

Former Chelsea striker Alexandre Pato has offered to pay the pay the bill to bring the body of a tourist who plunged down an Indonesian volcano home to Brazil after her family blasted authorities’ ‘botched’ rescue. 

Rescuers removed the body of dancer Juliana Marins, 26, from the depths of Mount Rinjani on Lambok Island last week, after she slipped and slid hundreds of feet down the volcano during a hike four days prior. 

Search teams had said they faced challenges from bad weather and low visibility over the ensuing days, with Marins’ family accusing rescuers of not doing enough to save her.

The tragic saga has garnered widespread attention in her native Brazil and, according to reports, has caught the eye of former international Pato, who, after being moved upon learning of the BRL 100,000 (£13,000) cost to repatriate her body, has tried to contact Marins’s father to pay the bill. 

According to National World, the 35-year-old – who addition to a short spell in west London also spent time in Europe with AC Milan and Villarreal – is still waiting for a reply. 

By the time she was found on Tuesday – after earlier drone footage appeared to show her alive and moving after the fall – it was too late.

Former Chelsea striker Alexandre Pato has offered to pay the pay the bill to bring the body of a tourist who plunged down an Indonesian volcano

The body of Brazilian tourist Juliana Marins was removed from the depths of Mount Rinjani, Indonesia's second largest volcano, last week

Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency defended itself from mounting criticism over the amount of time it took to save the life of Marins

Indonesia’s National Search and Rescue Agency appeared to distance itself from any culpability while sharing a series of photos on Instagram claiming to show first responders retrieving Marins’ body

‘Trekking to Mount Rinjani is an Extreme Tourism Sport,’ a caption on one post read.

‘Be respectful, understand limitations. When accident happend [sic], do not blame rescuers unless you have walked in their shoes!’ The agency then deleted the post amid ongoing questions by Marins’ family and criticism pouring in from around the globe.

Her grieving loved ones announced last week that they would be ‘seeking justice’ after the tourist’s death.

‘Juliana suffered great negligence on the part of the rescue team,’ her family said in a statement. ‘If the team had reached her within the estimated time of 7 hours, Juliana would still be alive.

‘Juliana deserved much more! Now we are going to seek justice for her, because that is what she deserves! Don’t give up on Juliana!’

The family’s claim comes as observers, particularly those in Brazil, continued to flood the National Search and Rescue Agency’s social media feeds with criticism.

Marins’ family had also slammed the lack of communication between Indonesian and Brazilian authorities, and questioned why Mount Rinjani National Park remained open to visitors during the search.

Marins had joined six tourists and a tour guide for the $150 excursion on the active volcano located on Lombok Island

Julian Marins graduated from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro with a degree in Advertising and Publicity and worked as a pole dancer

According to Indonesian government data, eight people have died and 108 have suffered injuries while hiking in the Mount Rinjani region since 2020.

Just last month, a Malaysian hiker reportedly died in fall on the mountain.

Last Wednesday, a Brazilian geologist told CNN that the park should have been better prepared.

Marins, who hailed from just outside Rio de Janeiro, had joined six tourists and a tour guide for the $150 excursion on the active volcano.

She separated from the group due to fatigue and was left behind by the tour guide, her sister told Brazilian news magazine Fantastico.

‘We found out about this after contacting people who work at the park,’ Mariana said. ‘Juliana was in this group, but she got very tired and asked to stop for a while. They kept going, and the guide didn’t stay with her.’

The guide, identified as Ali Musthofa, told Brazilian outlet O Globo that he never left Marins behind.

‘Actually, I didn’t leave her, but I waited three minutes in front of her. After about 15 or 30 minutes, Juliana didn’t show up,’ the 20-year-old said.

Marins left in February for a trip through southeast Asia, visiting Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines before heading to Indonesia

‘I looked for her at the last resting place, but I couldn’t find her. I told her I would wait for her ahead. I told her to rest. I realized [she had fallen] when I saw the light of a flashlight on a ravine about 150 meters deep and heard Juliana’s voice calling for help. I told her I would help her. I tried desperately to tell Juliana to wait for help.’

Musthofa said that he reported the accident to the tour agency he is employed by and told them to request emergency assistance.

Italian tourist Federica Matricardi told Fantastico that she met Juliana last Friday and recalled how difficult it was to make it to the top of Mount Rinjai.

The pair of solo travelers appeared together in a video just before Juliana fell, smiling and joking about the cloudy view.

Marins left in February for a trip through southeast Asia, visiting Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines before heading to Indonesia.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Meet the five-year-old who’s destined for stardom

On Wednesday night, viewers tuned into Channel 5's controversial drama, Under Suspicion: Kate McCann, which dramatises the case of Madeleine McCann.

Shirley Ballas reveals why the new presenters got Strictly gig

Emma Willis, 50, Josh Widdicombe, 43, and professional dancer Johannes Radebe, 39, will take over from outgoing hosts Tess Daly , 57, and Claudia Winkleman, 54.

Girl, 15, is ‘bundled into van by random knifeman and held for hours’

The 15-year-old said she was threatened with a knife during a seven-hour kidnapping which took place when she was walking in Bowdon, a village in Altrincham, on Monday evening.

Moment ‘Rolex ripper’ asks for a light then takes off with £18k watch

Ali Sharif, 33, and accomplice Mohamed Benioua, 30, targeted wealthy Dimitrios Triadis outside Mister Nice in Mayfair in October 2023.

Trump and Netanyahu clash in ‘dramatic’ secret phone call

Netanyahu increasingly doubts that further negotiations with Tehran will produce a peace deal and wants to resume military strikes.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Family rallies around Kai Trump amid mom Vanessa’s shock cancer news

Family members gathered to support Kai Trump, the president's eldest grandchild, amid her mother's sudden breast cancer diagnosis.

Matthew Perry’s heartbroken mom recalls seeing son in the morgue

Matthew Perry's mother painted a heartbreaking picture of the day she saw her son's dead body in the morgue as she assailed his former assistant ahead of his sentencing hearing.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img