13.4 C
London
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

C4 accuse Press of ‘regurgitating’ claims MAFS UK groom ‘abused ex’

Channel 4 has accused the Press of ‘regurgitating’ news that a Married at First Sight UK groom was allowed to appear on television despite having been arrested on suspicion of battering his ex-girlfriend.

The broadcaster was warned that a contestant was on bail after being accused of leaving the woman with black eyes and broken ribs, but decided to air the episode anyway.

When the Daily Mail approached the channel – already under the cosh amid allegations of rape by MAFS UK grooms – for a response to newspaper reports last night, we were accused of ‘regurgitating’ news. 

Channel 4 press officer Kate Conway wrote: ‘This was well covered by the press including in the Mail at the time. 

‘Please ensure it is not presented as new news as that would be wilfully misleading.

‘If you still plan on regurgitating this piece, please include the following statement.’

The official statement released to us and other newspapers made attempts to downplay the allegations, without acknowledging the gravity of the allegations made against the former contestant.

Written as the channel fought to avoid sinking any lower into scandal, the statement said: ‘The allegations against this individual were not related to his time on the show. 

Married at First Sight UK has accused the Press of 'regurgitating' news about a former contestant arrested on suspicion of domestic abuse

Married at First Sight UK has accused the Press of ‘regurgitating’ news about a former contestant arrested on suspicion of domestic abuse

Shona Manderson, who has waived her anonymity, alleged that Bradley Skelly engaged in a non-consensual sex act while they filmed the Channel 4 show, a claim he denies

Shona Manderson, who has waived her anonymity, alleged that Bradley Skelly engaged in a non-consensual sex act while they filmed the Channel 4 show, a claim he denies

‘He was arrested after filming had completed, not charged, and following an investigation the police took no further action. 

‘The allegations were reported on by the press at the time.’

At the time of the series in question, a senior executive is said to have told producers: ‘We are not judge and jury,’ as they ruled out pulling the footage featuring the then-accused abuser, according to reports in The Sun.

A family friend yesterday said: ‘They tried to warn Channel 4 that the contestant had been arrested over domestic violence accusations and that they should axe the episode but they were ignored. 

‘It seemed like bosses were more worried about their ratings. Contestant welfare should take priority.

‘There should have been a more rigorous safeguarding system. This show needs to be shut down.’

The woman told friends she felt sick after spotting the man in trailers and adverts for an upcoming series of MAFS UK.

Her close circle desperately tried to warn the channel about her claims, but were told the decision had been made to go to air because his DBS check had come back clear.

They said they were taking the concerns seriously and go to ‘considerable lengths’ to ensure contestants’ suitability and welfare.

Paul C Brunson is the show's relationship expert and matchmaker

Paul C Brunson is the show’s relationship expert and matchmaker

Mr Skelly said he understood his on-screen wife (pictured together) consented and said in a statement he categorically denied 'any allegations of sexual misconduct' or that he was 'controlling'

Mr Skelly said he understood his on-screen wife (pictured together) consented and said in a statement he categorically denied ‘any allegations of sexual misconduct’ or that he was ‘controlling’

After going through the show’s dating expert and matchmaker, the friends managed to get through to an executive, and shared their concerns over the phone.

Then, five days before the episode was due to air, the contestant in question was arrested on suspicion of domestic abuse offences, and later bailed.

Channel 4 was made aware of this development, but still refused to drop him from the line-up.

He had previously been pushed out of another C4 show, but the broadcaster said it was unaware of this as a different firm produces MAFS, The Sun reported.

All this comes against the turmoil of two former participants claiming they had been raped by their on-screen husbands, and a third woman claimed she had been the victim of sexual misconduct.

Channel bosses have axed the new series of the show in light of the allegations, and all ten series of MAFS UK have been removed from its streaming service.

The Metropolitan Police on Tuesday called for any women with allegations linked to the show to get in touch with them.

A spokesperson for the force said: ‘We are aware of media reporting relating to allegations of rape and sexual assault following the airing of a television programme on Monday, 18 May.

Read More

BBC Panorama’s Married At First Sight investigation pulls in 1.5million viewers

article image

‘At this time, we have not received any criminal reports in relation to this matter. We will be making approaches to the relevant production teams to ensure that anyone they have spoken to is aware of how to report any criminal allegations to police.

‘We continue to encourage anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, to get in touch with us.’

The dating show was set to return to screens for its eleventh series in September, but plans to air the episodes, which wrapped last month, have now reportedly been scrapped.

Among the alleged victims is Shona Manderson, who says she got an abortion after her on-screen husband, Brad Skelly, took things ‘too far’ during sex and ‘a boundary was crossed’ when he ejaculated inside her without permission.

Waiving her anonymity, she described how she ‘completely lost her light’ during filming, which saw experts raise concerns about Mr Skelly’s alleged ‘controlling’ manner towards her that saw them ultimately be asked to leave the show.

Two other female contestants reported being raped by their on-screen husbands, with one informing both Channel 4 and the production company only for the episodes to be aired anyway.

The other described being left with bruises from the alleged assault and said her partner also threatened to have acid thrown at her. 

All the men are understood to deny the allegations against them.

The women say the show, produced by independent firm CPL, did not do enough to protect them and that welfare protocols were not sufficient.

Shortly before the Panorama episode aired, Channel 4 announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare last month.

‘In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied,’ a statement from the broadcaster said.

‘The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.

‘Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols.

‘Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

‘Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.’

Priya Dogra, chief executive of Channel 4, said: ‘I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married At First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.

‘It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.

‘Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.

‘We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.

‘On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.’

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Arsenal’s Premier League-winning stars, led by Rice, party all night

Arsenal's triumphant players were spotted partying until daylight as they basked in the glory of the club's first Premier League title since 2004.

Kylie Minogue secretly battled cancer a second time

Kylie Minogue has revealed that she went through cancer for a second time just five years ago, which left her a 'shell of a person.'

Britain must get used to being a ‘hot country’, climate advisers say

Schools should introduce air conditioning to prevent learning days being lost to hot days, it says.

Katie Price’s ‘kidnapped’ husband remains ‘active’ on social media

Katie Price's missing husband Lee Andrews has been spotted on social media as Luisa Zissman claims to have seen him 'active' online.

Kylie Minogue secretly battled cancer a second time

Kylie Minogue has revealed that she went through cancer for a second time just five years ago, which left her a 'shell of a person.'

Britain’s deputy ambassador to US leaves his post

James Roscoe has held the role since July 2022 and stood in as acting ambassador after Lord Peter Mandelson was sacked over his links to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Professor who said neighbour made flat ‘unsellable’ faces £180K bill

Prof Daslav Brkic sued wine retailer Douglas Palin as freeholder of the Victorian house in Finsbury Park, north London, where they both own flats.

‘I told you’: Declan Rice celebrates Arsenal’s title triumph

And now that he was proven to be right, the 27-year-old has posted a selfie on social media along with several of his Arsenal team-mates as the squad celebrate becoming the champions of England.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img