13.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Twenty-seven asylum seekers have their own private GP at barracks

  • Do you have an update on this story? Email olivia.christie@dailymail.co.uk 

Asylum seekers housed at a military barracks will have their own on-site GP, it emerged today – as police brace for a weekend of protests.

The Home Office said 27 ‘illegal migrants’ have been moved into Crowborough Army Camp in East Sussex, with the first arriving under police escort at 3.30am yesterday.

The facility is due to house more than 500 single adult men, who will be free to come and go as they please. 

Flag-waving protesters gathered on Crowborough’s High Street last night, while today drones hovered over the site as part of a formidable security presence. 

The Home Office has said the asylum seekers will be registered with a GP based inside the base, and will only use off-site services if they require additional treatment. 

Officials said this would minimise the impact on local GP services, although it is certain to anger local residents struggling with a shortage of appointments. 

A community Facebook page is full of complaints from locals about the issue, with one woman how local GPs were ‘all having problems with having appointments’.

A second claimed she had been unable to see a doctor at her surgery for three months despite ‘calling at 8am’. 

Figures suggest NHS Sussex comes seventh out of England’s 42 trusts for the number of patients waiting 28 days or more for a GP appointment.

A group of men were seen walking into the own lecture room at Crowborough Army Training Camp today
Police officers stand outside Crowborough Training Camp yesterday after the first group of migrants arrived
Photos show protesters gathered on Crowborough's High Street last night, holding England and Union Jack flags

The new asylum site has provoked a huge local backlash, and today a councillor claimed parents are pulling their children out of school as a bus route used by the pupils shares a stop with the base. 

Andrew Wilson, who represents Crowborough East, said that because the asylum seekers will each stay at the site for between 70 to 90 days at a time, this amounts to almost 2,800 unknown individuals passing through the town in a 12-month period. 

He said that with each man whose background is not known, that ‘increases the risk to local residents’.

Mr Wilson told the Mail: ‘There’s been a number of people who are deciding to take their children out of school because they’re worried they won’t be safe. 

‘The camp has CCTV all over it, but when you get beyond the borders of it the cameras don’t cover everywhere.

‘I’m a father of two girls. As a parent, your responsibility first and foremost is to keep your children safe, and if people feel like the government haven’t provided enough information relating to security then parents are within their rights to take action.’  

Local residents have expressed fears about the safety of women and children in the wake of a series of sex attacks by asylum seekers across the country. 

Karen Creed, 62, said: ‘My main concern is the fact that it’s all men. It’s not families.

‘We don’t know the background of any of them. I want to feel free to walk about in the town in which I live. It feels like the Government is playing with my freedom.’

‘We all feel totally hoodwinked. They brought people down here in the wee small hours, not expecting anybody to see.’

A man was seen arriving at the base this morning in a white van
A 16-seater mini van driven into a migrant camp in Crowborough in the early hours of yesterday morning
A cleaning team preparing the base for its new residents today
Police are bracing for hundreds of anti-migrant demonstrators to descend on the town this weekend

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp called it ‘another day of shame’ for Labour.

‘We have seen hundreds of crimes committed by illegal immigrants in asylum accommodation, including many rapes, sexual assaults and even murder,’ he said.

‘Now the women and children of Crowborough will be exposed to those risks too.

‘Illegal immigrants are costing £4billion a year to house and they pose a threat to local communities up and down the country.

‘If Labour had allowed the Rwanda scheme to start, these illegal immigrants would be in Rwanda, not Crowborough – but Keir Starmer was too weak to carry out the plan.’ 

The Tory frontbencher added: ‘The Government tried to hide what they were doing in Crowborough by smuggling illegal immigrants into the site under cover of darkness.’

Local MP Nusrat Ghani accused the Home Office of a ‘shameful lack of transparency’.

Opponents of the centre – the first large-scale site opened under Labour – have been considering their own legal action against the Home Office.

Beds at the former army training camp
An aerial view of the former military barracks, with a heavy police presence in the area

Kim Bailey, chair of the campaign group Crowborough Shield, said she was hoping to secure an injunction, and criticised the Home Office for an ‘information vacuum’ that had created ‘a lot of fear’ in the town of 23,000 residents.

‘Of course parents are going to worry. Every day you are seeing reports of a different crime,’ Mrs Bailey said.

‘The community opened their arms to Ukrainian families and families from Afghanistan in 2021.

‘This community is not unwelcoming, but this is not right: 540 men with nothing to do, on the edge of a town.’

Labour is planning to open further large sites for migrants as part of its pledge to shut down asylum hotels by 2029.

Latest official figures show the number of asylum seekers being housed in hotels increased by 13 per cent to 36,273 at the end of September.

The coach was assisted by a police escort at 3.28am yesterday morning

Home Secretary Ms Mahmood said: ‘Crowborough is just the start.

‘I will bring forward site after site until every asylum hotel is closed and returned to local communities.

‘I will not rest until order and control to our borders is restored.’

She added: ‘Illegal migration has been placing immense pressure on communities.

‘That is why we are removing the incentives that draw illegal migrants to Britain, closing asylum hotels that are blighting communities.’

The Home Office issued the first images from inside the former barracks, showing basic levels of accommodation including dormitory rooms.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Southampton didn’t even WIN the games they admit to cheating on

The club has also been hit with a four-point deduction ahead of next season. An appeal will be heard by an independent arbitration panel on Wednesday.

Chandler’s last supper with Friends: Star’s album of photos for sale

Now never-before-seen photographs of the stars gathered at the intimate farewell meal marking the end of the show have emerged in a sale from Matthew Perry's estate.

The controversies looming over the Harry Potter HBO series

While the magical world of Harry Potter and Hogwarts captivated audiences when it first hit the screens, it seems its HBO series adaptation is already facing several scandals. 

JOAN SMITH: Why women can never trust Andy Burnham

Women shouldn't trust Andy Burnham. Every time the question of single-sex spaces comes up, he takes the side of biological men.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Chandler’s last supper with Friends: Star’s album of photos for sale

Now never-before-seen photographs of the stars gathered at the intimate farewell meal marking the end of the show have emerged in a sale from Matthew Perry's estate.

My spiky encounter with Burnham during a day on the stump with Reform

Nigel Farage made his first appearance on the Makerfield campaign trail yesterday, saying the race will be the most significant by-election of his lifetime.

Three dead after exposure to mystery substance

According to New Mexico State Police, they arrived to find four people unresponsive inside the home, with three of them having since died.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img