22.5 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Rayner ‘used disabled son’s NHS compensation to buy second home’

Angela Rayner used some of her disabled son’s NHS compensation to buy her second home, it was claimed on Wednesday night. 

The Deputy Prime Minister is today fighting for her political life after yesterday admitting that she was not eligible for a £40,000 stamp duty discount she received on the south coast seaside flat. 

The Deputy Prime Minister received £162,500 from a trust fund set up to care for 17-year-old Charlie, who was born prematurely.

The money, which she put towards the deposit on her £800,000 Hove apartment, was paid to her when she sold a 25 per cent share of her house in Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, to the trust.

Her admission that she underpaid her tax triggered widespread condemnation and calls for her to resign or be sacked by Sir Keir Starmer. 

She now faces an anxious wait for the results of a probe by ethics watchdog Sir Laurie Magnus, which HMRC is also investigating.

This morning senior Cabinet minister Bridget Phillipson revealed the DPM received new legal advice on Monday suggesting she had underpaid the housing tax. But No10 continued to defend her into Tuesday. 

Ms Rayner said on Wednesday that the Greater Manchester property had been adapted for her son’s special needs, and she had transferred her share of the house to the trust to ensure he had ‘stability in the family home’.

Angela Rayner was tearful as she gave a TV interview about receiving NHS compensation

She said her son had received an award in 2020. The Telegraph said it followed an 11-year legal battle waged between the Rayners and the hospital where her son was born in 2008, weighing less than 1 lb, that resulted in the NHS paying compensation. 

The Labour MP has previously suggested a locum doctor made an error that contributed to his lifelong disabilities. It is unclear how much money was paid out as part of the NHS damages claim. The Rayners set up the trust in 2020. In 2023, they transferred half the ownership of the house into it.

Stockport NHS Foundation Trust declined to reveal details of any settlement reached, saying ‘these are confidential patient matters’. Ms Rayner’s office was approached for comment.

The BBC reported today that Ms Rayner sought advice from three lawyers – a conveyancer and two trust experts – regarding her flat purchase this summer.

Ms Phillipson, the Education Secretary, told Times Radio that Ms Rayner had been ‘open, she set out the information and referred herself to the independent adviser’.

Responding to the suggestion the Deputy Prime Minister could have set out the position a week earlier, Ms Phillipson said: ‘She sought legal advice, fresh legal advice, expert advice, which came back on Monday, then applied to the court to have the necessary order lifted on Tuesday, and made a full public statement and gave an interview on Wednesday.

‘So, she has acted in good faith, sought to act appropriately with the information available to her.’

No 10 repeatedly refused to say yesterday whether the PM knew the claims against her were true when he accused her critics of making a ‘mistake’. 

Ms Rayner¿s recently purchased £800,000 seaside flat in Hove
The Deputy PM received £162,500 from a trust fund set up to care for 17-year-old Charlie, who was born prematurely

Sir Keir told MPs he had been ‘speaking at length’ with Ms Rayner about the scandal in recent days, but No 10 refused to say exactly when these conversations took place. 

Downing Street has spent the past 10 days defending the Deputy Prime Minister, describing claims that she dodged tax as being ‘entirely without basis’. 

This defence continued until Tuesday. No 10 refused to say whether the PM or his officials had made any independent attempts to verify public responses being given by Ms Rayner.

Sir Keir, the ultimate arbiter of whether a minister needs to resign for breaking the ministerial code, gave his deputy a friendly pat on the shoulder today as he entered the Commons for the weekly session of Prime Minister’s Questions.

He said: ‘I can be clear that I am very proud to sit alongside a Deputy Prime Minister who is building 1.5 million homes, who is bringing forward the biggest upgrade to workers’ rights in a generation, and who has come from a working-class background to be Deputy Prime Minister of this country.’

Advertisement

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Shocked Harry Maguire is AXED from England’s World Cup squad

Maguire, 33, is understood to be incredulous at the decision. He said: 'I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I've had.

Revealed: ‘Deplorable’ Southampton LIED in spying hearing

Southampton were guilty of a 'deplorable approach' in putting pressure on junior staff members to spy on opposition teams, authorised by head coach Tonda Eckert.

Shocked Harry Maguire is AXED from England’s World Cup squad

Maguire, 33, is understood to be incredulous at the decision. He said: 'I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I've had.

Maura Higgins is the belle of the ball at Cannes’ amfAR gala

Stars brought the glamour to the Cannes Film Festival amfAR gala at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes, France on Thursday night.

Revealed: ‘Deplorable’ Southampton LIED in spying hearing

Southampton were guilty of a 'deplorable approach' in putting pressure on junior staff members to spy on opposition teams, authorised by head coach Tonda Eckert.

Meghan monetises her designer wardrobe again via AI platform OneOff

Earlier this month, Meghan, 44, shared a series of clips promoting her products via Instagram.

Jessie J reveals she is cancer free – 11 months after diagnosis

The singer, 38, shared the news on Instagram after going to hospital for her annual check-up, and said she 'sobbed for hours' when she learned the results.

Meghan monetises her designer wardrobe again via AI platform OneOff

Earlier this month, Meghan, 44, shared a series of clips promoting her products via Instagram.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img