13.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

The controversies looming over the Harry Potter HBO series

While the magical world of Harry Potter and Hogwarts captivated audiences when it first hit the screens, it seems its HBO series adaptation is already facing several scandals. 

The show has been described as the ‘streaming event of the decade’ – despite the ongoing controversy surrounding JK Rowling’s comments about transgender people.

However, with big stars on board including John Lithgow, who will play Professor Albus Dumbledore, and Nick Frost, who is stepping into Rubeus Hagrid’s very large shoes, bosses are clearly hoping the love for the magic will overcome the controversy. 

Yet with there still over six months until the show is scheduled for release on Christmas Day, several scandals have already hit the show. 

On Tuesday it was revealed that the actor supposed to be playing Ginny Weasley has had to drop out of the project.

Filming for the first series is complete, therefore bosses will have to recast the role going forward due to Gracie Cochrane’s decision to pull out due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’.

But Ginny’s role is just the latest in a long series of scandals after members of the cast also faced death threats for taking the roles and reports of bullying allegations. 

While there were also reports of thefts in the prop room, and the series doesn’t even have the backing of the original Harry Potter director Chris Columbus.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Scandals! From death threats to bullying accusations and JK Rowling's outspoken trans views - the controversies looming over upcoming HBO series

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Scandals! From death threats to bullying accusations and JK Rowling’s outspoken trans views – the controversies looming over upcoming HBO series 

JK Rowling 

Some fans have vowed to boycott the show over creator JK Rowling’s views on gender identity after she voiced concerns that dismissing biological sex in favour of focusing on gender identity would harm women’s rights.

The multimillionaire author is set to retain a level of creative involvement with the upcoming project, however she will not serve as the project’s showrunner, nor will she be credited as the series’ creator. 

Rowling has faced intense criticism from LGBTQ+ activists and several stars of the Harry Potter films, including Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, after publicly expressing concerns about gender ideology and single-sex spaces and consistently referred to transgender women as being ‘men’.

She has said she supports trans rights but also believes that a woman should be defined by biological sex – a view upheld by the UK Supreme Court – and campaigns to protect women-only spaces.

Some fans have vowed to boycott the show over creator JK Rowling's views on gender identity and trans people

Some fans have vowed to boycott the show over creator JK Rowling’s views on gender identity and trans people 

John Lithgow also received criticism for joining the HBO project to play Dumbledore in light of Rowling's views

John Lithgow also received criticism for joining the HBO project to play Dumbledore in light of Rowling’s views

Her comments have been branded transphobic by some campaigners.

Meanwhile last year the author insisted she would never forgive the younger stars of the film franchise for speaking out against her views on trans rights.

Responding to a tweet that asked whether the likes of Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson would apologise to the author, ‘safe in the knowledge that you will forgive them’, she said: ‘Not safe, I’m afraid.’

‘Celebs who cosied up to a movement intent on eroding women’s hard-won rights and who used their platforms to cheer on the transitioning of minors can save their apologies for traumatised detransitioners and vulnerable women reliant on single sex spaces,’ the writer added.

John Lithgow also received criticism for joining the HBO project to play Dumbledore in light of Rowling’s views.

While he has decided to pursue the role, John added that he knows ‘every interview I will ever do for the rest of my life this will come up’. 

In the wake of the announcement, John revealed that a friend with a trans child sent him a link to an article entitled: ‘An open letter to John Lithgow: Please walk away from Harry Potter’ – something he admitted made him feel ‘uncomfortable’. 

John also addressed the backlash as he swiped at the author’s ‘ironic and inexplicable’ views on trans women – and insisted she’s ‘not really involved in series at all’.

Elsewhere Nick Frost responded to Rowling’s comments, saying: ‘She’s allowed her opinion and I’m allowed mine – they just don’t align in any way, shape or form.’

Death Threats

Harry Potter star Paapa Essiedu has said that he's faced death threats since being cast as Snape in the new TV series
The role was previously taken on by Alan Rickman (pictured)

Harry Potter star Paapa Essiedu has said that he’s faced death threats since being cast as Snape in the new TV series

In an extreme turn of events, Paapa Essiedu has said he has even faced death threats since being cast as Severus Snape in the new TV series.

Opening up about the racist abuse he has had to endure, he explained how the trolls believe a black man should not play a fictional wizard and have told him: ‘Quit or I’ll murder you’.

The role was previously taken on by Alan Rickman in the films which starred Daniel Radcliffe as Harry, Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley and Emma Watson as Hermione Granger.

He told in March The Sunday Times: ‘The reality is that if I look at Instagram I will see somebody saying, ‘I’m going to come to your house and kill you. Nobody should have to encounter this for doing their job. 

‘Many people put their lives on the line in their work. I’m playing a wizard in Harry Potter. And I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t affect me emotionally. But the abuse fuels me.

‘And makes me more passionate about making this character my own, because I think of how I felt as a kid. I would imagine myself at Hogwarts on broomsticks, and the idea that a kid like me can see themselves represented in that world? That’s motivation to not be intimidated.’

He added that he hasn’t actually reported any of the messages as it wouldn’t make him feel any better to see anyone punished for it.

Following the death threats  HBO CEO Casey Bloys confirmed ‘serious security’ measure had been put in place to protect the cast. 

Speaking to Variety he admitted that with all the fans opinions it ‘can get scary in places’ and later told Deadline that the actors had been warned about encountering ‘unpleasant and aggressive’ behaviour from fans and were briefed on how to handle social media. 

Bullying Accusations 

The upcoming show has also been hit with ‘alarming’ accusations of bullying and claims two 12-year-old extras were spotted fighting on set. 

According to reports in March, bosses at Warner Brothers were forced to step in and issue warnings to both adults and children, as well as the threats of being booted from the show no matter how famous they may be.

A source said: ‘There are a lot of youngsters on set at any one time, and the reality is that not everyone is going to get on. It’s an alarming problem and bosses want to get rid of any bad eggs among the cast and crew.

‘Bosses have issued warnings about behaviour. The bullying accusations have involved adults and children. It has been made clear that anyone reported for bullying will be immediately axed, no matter how famous they may be.’

The insider added to The Sun: ‘Filming is going to last eight years and bosses are adamant that any inappropriate behaviour must be nipped in the bud. The reports of bullying have been treated incredibly seriously.’ 

Daily Mail contacted Warner Brothers for comment at the time. 

Broom Stealing 

Production on the HBO adaptation has reportedly been forced to microchip all the broomsticks and magic wands, after thieves made off with a number of magical items

Production on the HBO adaptation has reportedly been forced to microchip all the broomsticks and magic wands, after thieves made off with a number of magical items

Someone appears to have cast a vanishing spell on the set of the upcoming Harry Potter TV series, as a number of props are said to have disappeared.

Production on the HBO adaptation has reportedly been forced to microchip all the broomsticks and magic wands, after thieves made off with a number of magical items.

According to reports, the crew discovered that several pumpkins, spell books, wands and even fake food had gone missing from Hogwarts’ Great Hall during the filming of the famous Halloween feast scene.

And in a bid to prevent any more sticky fingers, posters are said to have been put up all around Warner Bros Studios, warning the cast and crew that props have been fitted with microchips so they can be tracked down.

One such poster obtained by The Sun can be seen to have been mocked up like a classic Harry Potter notice, with a drawing of a tagged broomstick and the words: ‘Props on this production have been microchipped.’

It continues underneath: ‘For inventory and security purposes props are being tracked daily and movement of props will be logged.

‘If you need to take any prop off-set or away from its designated area, please seek approval from the Props Department first.

‘If you notice any lost/misplaced items or anything out of place, please report it to the Props team so they can continue looking.’

But despite the amusing poster, bosses are said to be fuming about the thefts and have warned that anyone caught stealing will be in breach of contract and subsequently escorted off set.

‘It’s easy to suspect the dozens of support actors on set, but truthfully no one knows who is responsible,’ a source told the publication.

‘Production bosses said they will be scouring eBay to make sure nothing is found for sale online. Anyone caught doing so will be punished and fired.’

Chris Columbus Speaks Out 

The original eight films were huge hits, and with the last one released in 2011, Chris Columbus, the original director himself has even asked: 'what's the point'

The original eight films were huge hits, and with the last one released in 2011, Chris Columbus, the original director himself has even asked: ‘what’s the point’

The original eight films were huge hits, and with the last one released in 2011, Chris Columbus, the original director himself has even asked: ‘what’s the point’. 

He said after seeing the photos from the upcoming show he got déjà vu before adding: ‘I thought the costumes and everything was going to be different, but it’s more of the same. It’s all going to be the same.’

Ginny Quits 

The child actor supposed to be playing Ginny Weasley in the upcoming Harry Potter series has had to drop out of the project (seen left)

The child actor supposed to be playing Ginny Weasley in the upcoming Harry Potter series has had to drop out of the project (seen left) 

Revealing that the Gracie had made the decision to withdraw from the show earlier this week, her family said in a statement: ‘Due to unforeseen circumstances Gracie has made the challenging decision to step away from her role as Ginny Weasley in the HBO Harry Potter series after season one.

‘Her time as part of the Harry Potter world has been truly wonderful, and she is deeply grateful to Lucy Bevan and the entire production team for creating such an unforgettable experience.

‘Gracie is very excited about the opportunities her future holds.’

HBO has voiced their support for Gracie and her family’s choice.

They added: ‘We support Gracie Cochrane and her family’s decision not to return for the next season of HBO’s Harry Potter series, and we are grateful for her work on season one of the show. We wish Gracie and her family the best.’

Filming for the first season has already been completed, and the character of Ginny only has a minor role in JK Rowling’s first book in the series.

She appears with her mother Molly at King’s Cross station in London as her older siblings board the train to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and is seen again when they return at the end of the school term.

However, the character is much more prominent in the second book, Chamber of Secrets, when she plays a pivotal role in the secret room being opened.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Rank your favourite (and least!) World Cup kits

Germany's home shirt pays tribute to their 1990 and 2014 designs, which might make for troubling reading if you're an England fan, because they won the tournament in those years.

Angry Southampton players speak out on Spygate scandal

Southampton's squad have broken their silence on the Spygate scandal after the club lost their appeal against being expelled from the Championship play-off final. 

Angry Southampton players speak out on Spygate scandal

Southampton's squad have broken their silence on the Spygate scandal after the club lost their appeal against being expelled from the Championship play-off final. 

Coronation Street’s Tracy Shaw breaks down amid breast cancer battle

The actress, 52, was diagnosed with the disease last month, and shared in her video that she will start chemotherapy next week.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Labour lurches Left as Wes Streeting demands a ‘wealth’ tax

Wes Streeting - once seen as the Blairite candidate - called for a levy on the 'rich' that could bring in £12billion a year.

Calcium and Vitamin D supplements DON’T prevent fractures and falls

Vitamin D and calcium supplements do little to prevent fractures and falls a major study has found.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img