22.5 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Trump scores major win as court tosses $500 million FRAUD penalty

Donald Trump will no longer need to pay a $464 million fraud penalty he was ordered to dish over last year after being found liable for inflating his assets by billions of dollars.

A New York appeals court said Thursday that the millions Trump was ordered to pay was an ‘excessive’ penalty and should be tossed.

It comes over a year and a half after a five-judge panel said Trump, his sons and business associates broke the law by misrepresenting the worth of their assets to secure better business deals.

Alina Habba, who was by Trump’s side during the trial and later appointed interim Attorney of New Jersey, said the ruling confirms the case was ‘politically motivated, legally baseless, and grossly excessive.’

Thursday’s ruling puts fresh pressure on New York Attorney General and Trump foe Letitia James amid questions over whether her lawsuit violated the president’s legal rights.

Earlier this month, the Justice Department convened a grand jury in Albany, New York and sent subpoenas to James’ office in relation to a federal probe into her lawsuit against Trump, those familiar told Bloomberg. 

Last February, Manhattan Judge Arthur Engoron ruled that Trump illegally enriched himself for decades by inflating the value of his assets on financial documents with the intent of securing better loan terms and enriching himself.

President Donald Trump secure a nearly $500 million victory when an appeals court ruled he does not have to pay the 'excessive' penalty in his New York fraud case. Pictured: Trump speaks alongside his then-attorney Alina Habba outside the court room in NYC on January 11, 2024

New York Attorney General and Trump foe Letitia James is facing federal investigation into her civil fraud lawsuit against Trump

Trump was found guilty of fraud, insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, falsifying business records and issuing false financial statements. All of which landed him a hefty financial penalty.

He appealed the decision.

While the new ruling maintains that Trump, his sons and his company broke the law, it immediately wipes clean one of the president’s biggest outstanding financial liabilities as most of his legal woes dissipated in the months after his reelection. 

The total amount ordered to be paid on February 16, 2024 was $354.9 million, but the interest accrued at a rate of more than $110,000 per day – putting the total wiped clean at nearly $500 million. 

Trump’s son Eric wrote on X moments after news of the ruling broke: ‘Total victory in the sham NY Attorney General case!!! After 5 years of hell, justice prevailed!’ 

Thursday’s decision was handed down by a five-judge panel, deciding to toss out the massive fine while still maintaining the charge. 

The case against Trump was initiated by AG James in September 2022 after a three year investigation into the Trump Organization’s business practices.

The lawsuit alleged that the president, his adult sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, and their company misrepresented the value of assets to gain favorable loan conditions and tax breaks.

Protesters outside Trump tower in Manhattan on May 31, 2024 celebrate Trump's guilty conviction in the Stormy Daniels hush-money case

One example of this was Trump overstating by hundreds of millions of dollars on his financial statements the value of his Florida property Mar-a-Lago and Manhattan property Trump Tower.

James’ office argued that the practices were not rare errors, but part of a decade-long pattern of deceptive behavior by Trump and his family and business starting in 2011.

But Trump says his method of real estate asset valuation was industry standard and that disclaimers advised banks to do their own valuations.

In fact, New York did not dispute his claims that no banks lost money on his loans.

Advertisement

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Manchester United resume talks with Atalanta for £35m midfielder

Manchester United are expected to resume talks with Atalanta for midfielder Ederson. The Italians are understood to be looking for a fee of £34.5million plus a further £4.3m in add-ons after seeing a deal with Atletico Madrid break down. 

Katie Price says she has ‘given up the search’ for her husband

Katie Price has said she is giving up the search for her 'kidnapped' husband Lee Andrews and will no longer speak about it a week after he first vanished.

Katie Price says she has ‘given up the search’ for her husband

Katie Price has said she is giving up the search for her 'kidnapped' husband Lee Andrews and will no longer speak about it a week after he first vanished.

Gordon Ramsay reveals plans to go into business with daughter Tilly

Gordon Ramsay has revealed he plans to go into business with daughter Tilly one day after she 'impressed' him by standing on her own two feet during culinary school training.

Stepdad of murdered teen fined for saying killer should ‘hang himself’

Dean Jones, 54, said he was forced to relive Jayden Parkinson's murder after being 'dragged' through the courts over an email he sent to her killer's family.

Shocked Harry Maguire is AXED from England’s World Cup squad

Maguire, 33, is understood to be incredulous at the decision. He said: 'I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I've had.

Rachel Reeves cuts VAT on trips to Legoland to help with Iran shock

The Chancellor said VAT on family attractions will be cut from 20 per cent to 5 per cent until September.

Trump reveals if he plans to attend son Don Jr’s wedding

President Donald Trump responds to reporters in the Oval Office today when asked whether or not he will be able to attend his son's wedding this weekend.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img