A suspect opened fire near the White House and struck a civilian in the process before he was shot down by the Secret Service, according to reports.
The individual approached the perimeter on Saturday evening and unloaded several shots, a law enforcement source told the Daily Mail.
The White House was placed on lockdown with the president inside as the shooting unfolded.
The gunman fired three shots and hit a civilian before he was ‘taken down’ by Secret Service agents.
Both the suspect and bystander were were taken to the hospital and are said to be in critical condition, a law enforcement source confirmed to the Daily Mail.
CBS News reported a security booth was the gunman’s target, although no agents were hurt.
Journalists reporting from the White House were left scrambling for cover as they reported hearing 20 to 30 rounds fired.
The reporters were evacuated from the North Lawn and raced to safety inside the press briefing room where Secret Service agents ordered everyone to ‘get down!’
Television footage from the scene showed heavily armed agents roaming the perimeter with the FBI now on the scene.
ABC White House Correspondent Selena Wang appeared startled as gunshots rang out while she was recording a report on her phone
Secret Service agents are seen the White House after gunshots were heard nearby on Saturday
The shooting happened just beyond the perimeter of the White House on Saturday evening
Video showed ABC White House Correspondent Selena Wang ducking and hiding as the gunfire erupted.
‘I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots,’ she said.
‘It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now,’ she added.
Wang’s video shows her speaking for a few seconds about Trump’s statements earlier Saturday about a potential Iran deal.
As the sounds of gunfire are heard in the background, Wang´s eyes grow wider, and she ducks down in the media tent, which is among those situated in a line along the White House driveway where broadcasters film their reports.
On X, Wang’s video had been shared thousands of times as of Saturday evening, and viewed at least 3 million times.
The president was also inside the White House at the time as he was working on an Iran peace deal with Middle Eastern leaders inside the Oval Office.
The press pool had been dismissed about an hour before the shots were heard, with just a few broadcast journalists remaining.
The suspected shooter was transported to hospital in critical condition, according to a law enforcement source cited by the Daily Mail
The incident occurred near the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and 17th Street Northwest
A Secret Service agent walks holding his weapon after gunshots rang out close to the White House
Police block streets around the White House on Saturday evening following reports of gunfire
A National Guard member and police vehicles are seen on a blocked street nearby
ABC News White House reporter Selena Wang could be seen ducking for cover as gunshots rang out nearby
Reporters who were already inside the White House were told to shelter in place while Secret Service agents shouted ‘get down’ and warned of ‘shots fired.
They have since been released from the briefing room and the lockdown has been lifted.
It comes just weeks after many of the same reporters were forced to cower behind tables and chairs during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting,
CNN reported the gunfire came from the 17th Street side of the White House, closer to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
Initial reports suggest that a civilian was struck by the gunman before he was shot by the Secret Service. Pictured, a National Guard member on the scene
An armed Secret Service agent looks on at the White House in Washington after gunshots were heard
A member of the Secret Service was seen stopping journalists from leaving the White House during the lockdown
A member of the Secret Service guards the door of the press briefing room at the White House
FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed the FBI is present as part of the investigation.
‘FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able.’
The Secret Service issued a statement which said: ‘We are aware of reports of shots fired near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW and are working to corroborate the information with personnel on the ground. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.’
The Daily Mail has contacted the DC Metropolitan Police Department, the White House press office and the Secret Service for comment.
This is a breaking story – more follows…



