20.8 C
London
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Former CDC official warns Ebola could spark ‘significant pandemic’

An Ebola outbreak that has already led to more than 600 suspected cases in Central Africa could spark a new global pandemic, a former CDC director has warned.

Dr Robert Redfield told NewsNation’s ‘Elizabeth Vargas Report’ last night that the outbreak would likely become a ‘significant pandemic’.

He said: ‘I suspect this is going to become a very significant pandemic.

‘This is an outbreak right now that is really a significant outbreak, that’s of significant public health international concern, partially because… it wasn’t recognized very quickly. I’m not sure why.’

He added: ‘Normally, when we have these Ebola outbreaks, and I had three of them when I was CDC director, all of which were in the DRC [Democratic Republic of the Congo], normally, we recognize them when we have five, 10 cases at most. 

‘This one really wasn’t picked up until there was over 100 cases. Now there’s over 500 cases. There’s close to 150 deaths already, and it’s moving very rapidly.’

Last week, the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda to be a ‘public health emergency of international concern’.

Local health officials in the two nations have reported 536 suspected cases, 105 probable cases, 34 confirmed cases and 134 suspected deaths from the disease to date.

Former CDC director Dr Robert Redfield has warned that the Ebola outbreak in the DRC could become a 'very significant pandemic' (Workers are shown above being sprayed in the DRC)

Former CDC director Dr Robert Redfield has warned that the Ebola outbreak in the DRC could become a ‘very significant pandemic’ (Workers are shown above being sprayed in the DRC)

One American – Dr Peter Stafford – has tested positive for the virus while working in the DRC and has been transported to Germany for treatment.

The 39-year-old was reported to be barely able to stand when he was flown from the country Tuesday. He became sick days after operating on a 33-year-old patient with severe abdominal pain. 

The first case in the outbreak was recorded on April 24 in a health worker in Bunia, DRC, who started to suffer from a fever, hemorrhaging, vomiting and intense malaise. 

The individual later died, but it took three weeks for tests to be ordered that revealed they had been infected with Ebola, allowing time for the disease to spread.

Unlike Covid or the flu, Ebola does not transmit through the air. Instead, it is passed on via direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected or deceased person.

About 50 percent of people who are infected with the current outbreak strain of Ebola die from the disease.

On Thursday, the US government announced that all Americans returning to the country from high-risk nations for Ebola must rebook their travel arrangements to arrive at Dulles International Airport, 30 miles outside of Washington DC, in order to be screened for the deadly virus.

The US State Department said this applied to all Americans and lawful permanent residents who were in South Sudan, Uganda or the DRC in the previous 21 days. 

Redfield said that it was unusual for more than 600 suspected cases to be detected in a single outbreak. He is pictured in March this year, testifying before the House Select Subcommittee on the Covid pandemic

Redfield said that it was unusual for more than 600 suspected cases to be detected in a single outbreak. He is pictured in March this year, testifying before the House Select Subcommittee on the Covid pandemic

On Wednesday, a flight from Paris to Detroit was diverted to Montreal after officials determined that an individual from the Ebola-hit DRC was on board.

The passenger disembarked in Montreal, was assessed by a quarantine officer and flew back to Paris, Canada’s health agency said in a statement.

Read More

EXCLUSIVE Prophet issues terrifying warning after American catches virus never before seen in humans

article image

The individual was determined to be asymptomatic and has now flown back to France, officials in Canada said. They have not tested positive for the virus.

The State Department currently lists a level 4 do not travel alert for the DRC for crime, unrest, terrorism and health reasons.  

The American embassy in the country said: ‘The US government is extremely limited in its ability to provide emergency services to US citizens in Ituri province. Do not travel to this area for any reason.’

Ituri province, in the DRC, is the epicenter of the outbreak.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he was ‘deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,’ which involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola that has a mortality rate of up to 50 percent.

He said he expects the number of cases and deaths to rise in the coming weeks and added that the risk of spread of the outbreak in the DRC, South Sudan and Uganda is high at the national and regional level, but spread risk is low at the global level.

Shown above are workers in PPE with the coffin of a patient who died from Ebola in DRC

Shown above are workers in PPE with the coffin of a patient who died from Ebola in DRC

Shown above is a worker spraying a building in the DRC amid the Ebola outbreak

Shown above is a worker spraying a building in the DRC amid the Ebola outbreak

CDC officials said the risk to the general US public remains low but urged travelers to the area to avoid the area and contact with any sick individuals.

The CDC also said travelers should watch for symptoms of Ebola for 21 days after leaving the DRC.

CDC officials did not provide specifics surrounding screening and procedures ahead of the World Cup, but said that the agency is ‘actively working with FIFA to ensure safe traveling and passage’ and to ensure the ‘American public remains safe throughout’ the competition.

The agency is deploying personnel to the DRC and Uganda, along with personal protective equipment and additional resources to provide ‘direct technical assistance for aggressive disease tracking and contact tracing.’

The WHO said that the first known suspected case, a health worker in the DRC, developed symptoms on April 24, but ‘patient zero’ has not been identified, the head of the WHO team in the DRC Dr Anne Ancia told AP.

This is the 17th Ebola outbreak in the DRC, where the virus is endemic, since it was discovered in 1976 but only the third caused by the Bundibugyo strain.

The other two Bundibugyo outbreaks were in 2007 and 2012.

The most recent Ebola outbreaks in the DRC were in 2018 and 2020 and they killed more than 1,000 people each. The largest Ebola outbreak occurred in 2014 to 2016 in West Africa when more than 28,600 cases were reported.

Workers are shown putting on protective equipment in the DRC above before preparing to enter an area that had Ebola patients

Workers are shown putting on protective equipment in the DRC above before preparing to enter an area that had Ebola patients

Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle pain and weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and unexplained bleeding or bruising.

The mortality rate for the Bundibugyo virus ranges from 25 to 50 percent.

The Zaire strain, which is the most common form of Ebola, can be treated with the drugs Inmazeb and Ebanga and the Ervebo vaccine, which is administered only during outbreaks.

Ancia said officials were considering using the Ervebo vaccine but anything approved would take months to become available, adding that she doesn’t ‘see that in two months we will be done with this outbreak.’

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Hawkstone Farmers’ Choir is the final act to reach the finale

Hawkstone Farmers' Choir became the final act to reach the Britain Got Talent after done performers Celestial were sent through in a shock Golden Buzzer twist on Saturday.

Ed Sheeran waves goodbye to his record label – and this is why

When Ed Sheeran decided to leave his record label after 15 years, it wasn't surprising that he shared the news directly with the millions of supporters who have followed his journey to the top.

Strictly bosses ‘set to sign new dancer to replace Nadiya Bychkova’

In addition to the new presenters, the show is also preparing to welcome five new professional dancers to the line up.

Noel Gallagher, 58, ‘sparks romance rumours with events boss, 28’

The Oasis frontman, 58, is said to be 'smitten' with marketing boss, 28, as they enjoyed a date night night at a West London gastropub.

Holly Ramsay reunites with ‘sister’ and bridesmaid Bethany Peaty

Holly Ramsay reunited with her sister-in-law Bethany Peaty on Saturday as they took to Instagram to share a sweet snap together. 

Hawkstone Farmers’ Choir is the final act to reach the finale

Hawkstone Farmers' Choir became the final act to reach the Britain Got Talent after done performers Celestial were sent through in a shock Golden Buzzer twist on Saturday.

How Marxist activists will flood schools with radical propaganda

A rallying cry rang out across the Brighton Centre last month. It belonged to Daniel Kebede, the general secretary of Britain's largest teaching union.

Ed Sheeran waves goodbye to his record label – and this is why

When Ed Sheeran decided to leave his record label after 15 years, it wasn't surprising that he shared the news directly with the millions of supporters who have followed his journey to the top.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img