20.9 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Ferdinand accused of ‘sportswashing’ as he backs Tanzanian government

Former Man United and England defender Rio Ferdinand has been accused of sportswashing after appearing to support Tanzania’s controversial government.

Ferdinand, 47, was reportedly hosted on a visit to the country by culture and sports minister Paul Makonda, who the US government sanctioned in 2020 for ‘gross violations of human rights’. 

Among the accusations levelled at Makonda, he has reportedly launched anti-gay crackdowns in the past, including a surveillance squad dedicated to hunting down gay people in Tanzania. 

Makonda’s wife was also banned by the US government and speaking about his actions, they said: ‘He has been implicated in oppression of the political opposition, crackdowns on freedom of expression and association, and the targeting of marginalised individuals.’

At a reception following his arrival in the country, which generated much fanfare and saw the former United defender draped in a Tanzanian flag, Ferdinand had referred to Makonda as ‘my good friend Paul’. 

He said: ‘Tanzania are making strides to become a global powerhouse of football and they need the support. It’s a massive achievement to be part of that (Afcon) and to inspire the next generation.

Rio Ferdinand has been accused of sportswashing after appearing to support Tanzania's government (second right - sanctioned culture and sports minister Paul Makonda)

Rio Ferdinand has been accused of sportswashing after appearing to support Tanzania’s government (second right – sanctioned culture and sports minister Paul Makonda)

Ferdinand's arrival in Tanzania created  much fanfare and he was draped in the country's flag

Ferdinand’s arrival in Tanzania created  much fanfare and he was draped in the country’s flag

‘You have to come, you have to meet people. My good friend Paul here, we have been speaking on the (phone), it has not just happened overnight, and we have to prepare a plan for when I’m here to see things and experience things and then start cooking up some good ideas.’

His visit to the country was part of Tanzania’s attempts to use the profile of former Premier League stars ahead of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations, which will be hosted by them, Kenya and Uganda. 

Meanwhile, Tanzania’s government have previously been accused of significant human rights abuses when hundreds of protestors were killed last year in the aftermath of the general election.

President Samia Suluhu Hassan was ‘re-elected’ with 98 per cent of the vote, a result that opposition parties described as a ‘mockery’ of democracy after her main challengers were excluded. 

Hassan had insisted the election was fair and transparent and accused foreigners of inciting the violence as part of attempts to overthrow her. 

However, the African Union and the southern Africa bloc SADC claimed the election had fallen short of democratic standards. 

A request to visit from the European Union to investigate allegations of election abuses and repression was also denied by the government. 

Amnesty International UK’s director of campaigns Felix Jakens told The Times: ‘Amnesty International has been closely monitoring a deeply troubling human rights situation in Tanzania, where security forces used unlawful lethal force against protesters in late 2025, killing and injuring hundreds.

‘Against that backdrop, Rio Ferdinand should be speaking up against the rights violations happening there, not lending his profile in support of the government. 

‘His host, minister Paul Makonda, was sanctioned by the US government for gross human rights violations – and yet Ferdinand’s presence risks rehabilitating Tanzania’s international image while those responsible for recent abuses face no accountability.

‘Celebrity visits don’t happen in a vacuum – they send a message – and this has all the hallmarks of sportswashing. We urge Ferdinand to speak out about these abuses and to use his platform responsibly.’

Ferdinand pictured with wife Kate. The pair are based in Dubai after leaving the UK last August

Ferdinand pictured with wife Kate. The pair are based in Dubai after leaving the UK last August

Makonda (pictured in 2017) was sanctioned for 'gross violations of human rights' in 2020

Makonda (pictured in 2017) was sanctioned for ‘gross violations of human rights’ in 2020

When contacted for comment by The Times, Ferdinand’s representative insisted he was unaware if his client was being paid, and said that he was invited by Hassan rather than Makonda.

The representative also claimed Ferdinand was there to help support African football development ahead of next year’s tournament.  

Ferdinand was in the country for three days and he was said to visit the capital city Dodoma via train with Makonda, while he also took a trip to the Tanzanian parliament and the Serengeti National Park. 

Daily Mail Sport contacted Ferdinand’s representative for comment.  

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Meghan monetises her designer wardrobe again via AI platform OneOff

Earlier this month, Meghan, 44, shared a series of clips promoting her products via Instagram.

Netanyahu ‘beside himself with rage’ after phone call with Trump

Netanyahu increasingly doubts further negotiations with Tehran will yield a peace deal and wants to resume military strikes, according to Israel's Channel 12.

Trade envoy files relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released

Andrew was a 'natural fit' to succeed her cousin the Duke of Kent after he concluded his Royal Navy service in July 2001, the late Queen believed.

Katie Price says she has ‘given up the search’ for her husband

Katie Price has said she is giving up the search for her 'kidnapped' husband Lee Andrews and will no longer speak about it a week after he first vanished.

Swimsuit-clad Bella Hadid performs death-defying act aboard superyacht

Just hours before gracing the Cannes red carpet, the supermodel, 29, was spotted aboard the luxury triple-decker vessel, which was given the name 'Seven Sins.'

Temple with Japan’s ‘eternal flame’ for 1,200 years destroyed by fire

The devastating blaze gutted part of Daishoin Temple on Miyajima Island in the city of Hatsukaichi, Hiroshima Prefecture, on Wednesday.

Family rallies around Kai Trump amid mom Vanessa’s shock cancer news

Family members gathered to support Kai Trump, the president's eldest grandchild, amid her mother's sudden breast cancer diagnosis.

Trade envoy files relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released

Andrew was a 'natural fit' to succeed her cousin the Duke of Kent after he concluded his Royal Navy service in July 2001, the late Queen believed.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img