17.1 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Footballer who was stabbed during train attack speaks out

Jonathan Gjoshe was headed for his home in London, looking forward to spending a weekend with his friends and family after a disappointing night playing for ninth-tier side Bottesford Town.

The date was Saturday, November 1, when the now 23-year-old was sitting on a train bound for the capital from Doncaster, having featured at full-back in Bottesford’s 2-1 home defeat to Handsworth.

The youngster was ready to put what had been a frustrating night behind him. But as the train entered Cambridgeshire, with roughly one hour left of the journey, Gjoshe’s career and life changed forever.

Gjoshe, who was on loan at Bottesford from National League side Scunthorpe United at the time, was one of 11 people injured during a horrific knife attack after the train had left Peterborough station.

The footballer was rushed to hospital after being stabbed in the shoulder, and has been rehabilitating from the incident during the six months that have passed since.

After keeping his head down during his recovery, Gjoshe has decided to speak out on the terrifying assault that led to him having an operation on his upper arm, with his bicep having been slashed.

Former Scunthorpe United footballer Jonathan Gjoshe has spoken out six months after being stabbed during horrifying train attack

Former Scunthorpe United footballer Jonathan Gjoshe has spoken out six months after being stabbed during horrifying train attack

The 23-year-old defender has now spoken out about the whole ordeal for the very first time

The 23-year-old defender has now spoken out about the whole ordeal for the very first time 

‘I remember jumping over the table, jumping over the chairs. I was just running down the corridor, telling people, “there’s a guy with a knife, run, I’ve been stabbed, run, run, run”.

‘I was screaming. I think I was the first person that got stabbed. I felt the pain. But adrenaline kicked in.

‘That split second, me jumping over the table, saved me. All I thought about was just running for my life, getting off that train. As I got down to the first or second carriage, I pulled the alarm, and was just drenched with blood.

‘I was thinking I wasn’t going to see my family again, if I died, and that was the main worry for me’, he says. ‘Normally I would drive back down to London. That was the first time I got on a train to go back. What’s the chance of that happening? It’s crazy.’

The train eventually made an emergency stop at Huntingdon, where Gjoshe was able to seek the help he needed from paramedics.

In the months since the traumatising events on that train, Gjoshe has been hard at work to make sure he gets back on the football pitch, keen to prove he has what it takes to continue playing at National League level.

The defender had only joined Scunthorpe two months before the attack, having impressed during pre-season. He only had one season to show his worth, having signed on non-contract terms.

Unfortunately, after missing the majority of the campaign due to the injuries he sustained from the stabbing, the Iron announced that he will be leaving the club after not being offered a new deal.

Gjoshe has now left Scunthorpe United after not being given a contract following one season

Gjoshe has now left Scunthorpe United after not being given a contract following one season

While ‘disappointed’ that he is being let go, Gjoshe is thankful for the support he has received from the club and its supporters.

‘The Scunthorpe fans started a ‘GoFund Me’, [raising £4,500],’ he told BBC Sport. ‘It helped me a lot. The support they showed for me, the club as well, it meant a lot,’ he says.

‘Obviously [with] everything I’ve been through, I missed half a season… I didn’t get that chance that I wanted’, he says. ‘I was hoping they’d give me another year to prove that. But unfortunately, I didn’t get that. It’s quite disappointing.’

Anthony Williams, 32, of Peterborough, has since been charged with a total of 13 counts of attempted murder after using a kitchen knife on the LNER train back in November.

The date set for his trial is October 26.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

William gets hands on the silverware as he celebrates Villa’s triumph

The Prince of Wales, one of the club's most high-profile supporters, was seen punching the air after Villa surged to victory at Besiktas Park, on a night that delivered their first major trophy in 30 years.

Jake Quickenden ‘splits from his wife Sophie Church’

The former X Factor star tied the knot with the reality star in 2022, and they share two children, but sources are now claiming they've told friends and family their marriage is over.

Eva Longoria shows off her incredible curves at Global Gift Gala

Eva Longoria was the belle of the ball at the Cannes Film Festival's annual Global Gift Gala on Wednesday night.

How Prince celebrated his team’s victory with some of his oldest pals

The final whistle in Istanbul last night secured Aston Villa their first major trophy in 30 years, but also unleashed an intensity of emotion in Prince William never seen before.

Black cab rapist may have victims across the UK, survivors reveal

Carrie Johnson told Deep Dive she believes the true number of women Worboys targeted could run into the thousands.

Labour lurches Left as Wes Streeting demands a ‘wealth’ tax

Wes Streeting - once seen as the Blairite candidate - called for a levy on the 'rich' that he claimed could bring in £12billion a year.

Is this $1billion extortion of Aston Villa owner Chinese sex warfare?

When it came to Wesley Edens' decision to reply to a LinkedIn message from an unknown Chinese-born divorcee shortly after he left his wife - well, that didn't go well.

JOAN SMITH: Why women can never trust Andy Burnham

Women shouldn't trust Andy Burnham. Every time the question of single-sex spaces comes up, he takes the side of biological men.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img