17.1 C
London
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Schools ‘could face squeeze from special needs costs’ in Budget – OBR

Schools could face a 4.9 per cent drop in funding following a Government pledge to absorb special needs overspend, the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has warned.

Today’s Budget revealed from 2028-29, councils will no longer have to run deficits to pay for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Instead, it said ‘future funding implications’ will be managed by central government, and that plans will later be announced to deal with historic deficits.

However, in an analysis report, the OBR said the Government ‘has not set out’ how this would be paid for, at a starting cost of £6.3 billion per year.

And it said that if the Department for Education (DfE) were made to absorb the cost, it could eat into the money schools get for other running costs.

The OBR said: ‘If it were fully funded within the DfE’s £69 billion… core schools budget in 2028-29, this would imply a 4.9 per cent real fall in mainstream school spending per pupil rather than the 0.5 per cent real increase planned by Government.’

However, the DfE said the claim was ‘incorrect’, and that the extra money would be found from across government, rather than from the schools budget.

Union leaders tonight warned that dipping into the schools budget would spell disaster.

Schools could face a 4.9 per cent drop in funding following a Government pledge to absorb special needs overspend, the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has warned (file picture)

Pepe Di’Iasio, general secretary of the heads’ union ASCL, said: ‘Several local authorities are seemingly at risk of financial collapse as a result of deficits relating to SEND spending.

‘Were this risk to be transferred onto schools, in the form of budget cuts to cover the cost of SEND provision being absorbed into departmental spending, it would be catastrophic.’

Laura Trott, shadow education secretary, said it would ‘push already struggling schools further into the red’.

The move comes in response to many councils facing financial collapse due to overspend on SEND.

The number of pupils entitled to council-funded care has soared by 80 per cent since 2019, driven by a rise in diagnoses of autism and ADHD.

The OBR said this crisis is likely to come to a head in 2028-29, when councils will be obliged to acknowledge their deficits in their budgets.

Previously, they have been able to disregard the deficits due to ‘statutory override’.

In today’s Budget document, the Government said it would set out plans at a later date to ‘support local authorities with historic and accruing deficits’.

However, the OBR noted: ‘The statutory override is due to end in 2028-29 by when these deficits could have reached a total of £14 billion, and a large number of local authorities would as a result not meet their balanced budget requirement.

‘The Government has not set out how this would be addressed and so it represents a significant fiscal risk.’

Earlier this month, the County Councils Network revealed 59 local authorities face ‘total collapse’ when their deficits are formally added to their books.

The Government plans to reform the SEND system, with proposals due to be released in the New Year.

It is understood ministers want to provide more school-level support so that only high-needs cases get EHCPs.

A Local Government Association spokesman said: ‘While it is positive the Government has committed to absorbing the costs of SEND spending from 2028/29 – and we look forward to clarity on how this will be funded – this does not address existing deficits, which are pushing many councils to the financial brink.’

They urged the Government to ‘write off these deficits’ as part of an upcoming Local Government Finance Settlement.

A DfE spokesman said of the claim about school budgets being squeezed: ‘This claim is incorrect – we are clear that any deficit will be absorbed within the overall government budget. These projections also do not account for the much-needed SEND reforms this government will bring forward.’

Other Budget announcements included an extra £5 million in 2026-27 to buy new books for secondary schools, and £18 million over two years to upgrade 200 playgrounds across England.

Hot this week

Diana’s ex-hairdresser condemns ‘evil’ comments about Kate’s hair

Princess Diana's former hairdresser has condemned 'nasty' comments made about the Princess of Wales 's hair - as she stepped out with her newly blonde tresses.

Experts reveal how many tins of tuna is safe to eat a week

The NHS advises people to eat at least two portions of fish a week, yet a recent investigation revealed toxic metals, including mercury, could be lurking in cans of tinned tuna sold in the UK.

The unusual breakfast request Princess Lilibet asks Meghan Markle for

Meghan Markle revealed her children's favourite meals and that she 'doesn't like baking' on the second season of her lifestyle show With Love, Meghan.

Some people DO see ghosts – and medics say there’s an explanation

An astonishing third of people in the UK and almost half of Americans say they believe in ghosts, spirits and other types of paranormal activity.

The best places to live in Britain’s idyllic national parks

Many of us toy with the idea of moving somewhere close to nature, with a friendly community, where the pace of life is more civilised. But where to find such a place? A national park could be the answer.

Chelsea join race with Arsenal for Bournemouth star, 19

Chelsea have openly said they are now searching for 'ready-made' signings ahead of a busy first summer under Xabi Alonso - but that does not mean they will disregard emerging talents.

Woman collapses for having sex outside marriage in Indonesia

A woman has passed out after she and her partner were lashed 100 times each for having sex outside of marriage under an Indonesian province's draconian Sharia laws. 

Netanyahu ‘beside himself with rage’ after phone call with Trump

Netanyahu increasingly doubts further negotiations with Tehran will yield a peace deal and wants to resume military strikes, according to Israel's Channel 12.

Nato jets scrambled as ‘drone’ is detected over Lithuania

Nato jets have been scrambled to intercept a drone that flew over Lithuania's capital Vilnius, as the country's prime minister and president were rushed to a safe house. 

Trump claims talks to end conflict with Iran are in ‘final stages’

The President continued to keep things on a knife's edge with Iran, as we head toward three months since the US started striking the Middle Eastern nation.

Mussolini’s granddaughter wins Italy’s Celebrity Big Brother

The granddaughter of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini has won this year's edition of Italy's Celebrity Big Brother. 

Woman collapses for having sex outside marriage in Indonesia

A woman has passed out after she and her partner were lashed 100 times each for having sex outside of marriage under an Indonesian province's draconian Sharia laws. 

Net migration falls to 171,000 but asylum seekers continue to rise

The Office for National Statistics said net migration - those coming to live here long-term minus those emigrating - nearly halved from the previous year's 331,000.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img